Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: question re: purchasing equipment online

I've had good experiences purchasing equipment online. That said, I have the equipment delivered into a industrial plant (our family business). We have loading docks and the equipment to unload the commercial carrier quickly and efficiently. Additionally, NO freight is unloaded at our facility without a very close inspection of the packaging. If anything is even possibly wrong, it is immediately documented with photos and the freight bill is signed noting the damage and that there are photos. Note that once the selling entity loads the freight, any damage that occurs must be dealt with thru the carrier, not the selling company. I then move the equipment home to my shop via whatever method I feel will work. But, if I do damage, it is my problem.

Only problems Ive ever had with purchases made online were both with Grizzly tools from Grizzly. Everything else in my shop was bought online and never had any issues.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Most people I know praise Grizzly service. Can you elaborate?

I'm with Jim. I get things where I can, mostly. A lot of it is online, but I do buy from Rockler and Woodcraft, especially if I'm in dire need of something, and need it right away. Sometimes that instant gratification gets the best of me, hah.

As for Grizzly service, their customer service is impeccable, but their popular tools are almost always in a state of backorder. They are pretty horrible about knowing when something is going to make it to their warehouses. This worries me quite a bit about their tools. If they don't even know when their manufacturer is going to deliver, I expect their quality control is pretty abysmal as well. I've not experienced such a thing personally (I have a G0513X2 band saw and love it), but a lot of rumblings on here and other forums give me that impression. Nothing too crazy, that you can't take care of yourself with some elbow grease, but the price and quality, once dialed in are fantastic.

I ordered from Acme and everything went great. I'd definitely recommend them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've bought my Performax 19-38 drum sander and my wife bought for me a Rikon 10-326 bandsaw from Acme. Both arrived perfectly fine, free shipping (the Rikon was drop-shipped from their warehouse) with lift gate included, etc. It was literally click, order, wait 3-5 days for the items to be driven to my house, and sign after inspecting the boxes that the delivery guy brings into the garage.

I've also bought my Grizzly table saw from their eBay store. Same great experience as Acme albeit it took Grizzly a week or so before they shipped.

The only issue I've had was ordering an 8" jointer from an e-bay store that's essentially drop shipping items sent directly from China/Taiwan. I ran into the dreaded "back order until infinity" issue, so I am left jointerless because I sold the Ridgid 6" jointer that I had prematurely. Oh well.

So yeah.. those were my experience buying big machines online.

Am I the only person who thought ACME was a fictional entity from the Looney Tunes universe?

Johnny see post 14
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-31-2018 at 3:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    looks like they carry lots of stuff.
    Coffee on the monitor . Certainly those of us who grew up with 'the Road Runner' cartoons interpret the term 'acme' a little differently than it is commonly used.

I have dealt with the real Acme Tool. No complaints at all.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-31-2018 at 6:04 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Ambrose View Post
    Just today, I stopped in to look at bandsaws and witnessed an employee attempting to load a table saw (new and in a large box) onto a customer's utility trailer. In an attempt to get the cart into the trailer, the employee laid down some really thin plywood as a ramp. When he tried to push the cart up the makeshift ramp, the cart busted through the plywood "ramp" and thunked on the sidewalk. What kind of business sells large machinery without the equipment or know-how to load said machinery into an ordinary utility trailer? I know. The kind of business that I will unlikely frequent again.
    Where was the customer while this fiasco was unfolding and did the customer have any responsibility in the loading process? I ask because the customer must have had a plan to offload the table saw at the destination. Unless the offloading was with a hoist system, the customer should have brought the ramp material to assist with the loading. The only heavy machinery I bought that I had to collect was a heavy jointer/planer. I didn't have my truck at the time, so I rented a panel van and spent about 30 minutes making a ramp with the metric equivalent of 2x8 planks and pieces of 1/2" plywood. The distributor loaded the palletized J/P into the van with a forklift, and I was able to pull it out of the van and into my garage. If I had my truck at the time, I would have used the chain hoist and straps in my garage to offload the J/P.

With the exception of the J/P, all of my shop equipment was delivered into my garage by the third-party shipper. In each case, the drivers asked me to open the crates or boxes and inspect for damage before they left. In one delivery, the truck was a tractor trailer and could not negotiate the turns from the main road to reach my house, which was about 150 meters. The driver offloaded the two pallets on the street and hauled them to my garage with a pallet jack.

Here's an example of a delivery doomed from the beginning (not mine):

I try hard to purchase locally from my Woodcraft. They personally deliver everything, and couldn't be nicer or more knowledgeable. I do a lot of business with them, but I don't think that would matter. Just quality crew, and quality management.

Some of the very big stuff I've ordered online, from say Laguna (crappy customer service), and now from Felder (the real deal, as you would expect).

Shippers are very variable. Some excellent, some pretty bad. Funny, mine always accept a tip without a fuss.

The hardest time I had getting something delivered was, of all things, a pallet jack. Pretty funny and frustrating watching them refuse to use their pallet jack to move a pallet jack into my garage. Was their pallet jack jealous of the new shiny one??
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 03-31-2018 at 9:05 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The video above:

Ouch. $5000 of J/P vs moron. The J/P never stood a chance.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Russ, have you considered talking with the new owner and expressing your concerns? I say that for a couple of reasons. As a new business owner, he or she may not know the previous owner's plans and likely is overwhelmed with the new responsibilities. You may become a huge asset to them. Second, they could view you as a gem and might they might in turn provide extra value to you in the future. When we can keep business local, it is good for everyone.

Rob

I have purchased many machines online from all across North America, Germany, and Japan, Both new machines and used.
    Many of the machines were used and purchased at online auctions. I have had good and bad results. I have had machines tipped over and broken, i have received machines that have had two huge holes in the crate where the forklift was driven into it.
    Had stuff lost, had some stuff shipped to different countries by mistake, and had to wait six or eight months to get it back.
    Had people use old photos to falsely advertise the machine, so the machine looked great in the photos only to see that its rusted worn out junk when it arrives.
    Its a nightmare trying to get settlements from trucking companies, auction companies, companies and private citizens etc, most just don't want to hear from you and just walk away, then you have you get nasty and lawyer up, if your lucky, six or eight months later you get to settle out of court for half of what they owe you.
    I had one guy deliver a brand new bandsaw on a pallet wrapped in plastic, and headed off, as i pulled the plastic off i realized that the bandsaw had been shipped in a crate, had been tipped over and broken then they tried to cover it up by removing most of the broken crate and wrapping the machine in plastic wrap. I ran after the driver and caught him before he left, and refused to accept the machine and made him take it back.

I have had some riggers do an excellent job of crating equipment, other just throw stuff on a busted up pallet, truck shows up with the machines tipped over and castings broken.

The couple of times that i had new machines arrive damaged, i did not have much trouble getting them replaced. Used machines are a different story.

I think that as long as you deal with new machines you will probably be okay. But always inspect the machines when they arrive and take video and photos.

Yikes. That video is awful.
    I don't know what happened to the shipping pallet, but a piece of 4x4 material to level out that pallet, prior to running the pallet jack under it, could have avoided that fiasco.
    It is the drivers responsibility to get the machine off the truck. After that, it's the customers problem. I still would have been home to receive it and assist.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)