Thread: “ The Ship Door “ Deep relief carved

“ The Ship Door “ Deep relief carved

Hi there.
    I thought I’d post a carved door that I had done for a client ( I actually ended up carving four doors for this client. Great couple! )
    Anyway they wanted a carved ship door for a guest bedroom that has a maritime theme. ( Which is a great idea. ) the only requirements was for it to have a sailing ship with the sails rolled up and anchored at harbour.
    The carved area measures about 1m ( 39” ) high and 600mm ( 24” ) wide. The door is carved from red cedar. Completely done with hand power tools. router, Arbortec and Dremel.
    Thanks for looking.

Regards Richard Yates

yates_ship_1.jpg

yates_ship_2.jpg yates_ship_3.jpg yates_ship_4.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-29-2018 at 7:27 AM. Reason: photos

She's a beauty, Richard!!

Blog Entries
    People who have your gift, removing everything that doesn't look like a ship, amaze me. Really stunning.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

To get that perspective ...I'm guessing the doors are about 12 inches thick! Use big hinges. I think that ship room needs a hammock bed,like in the "Bounty" movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Yates View Post
    they wanted a carved ship door for a guest bedroom that has a maritime theme. ( Which is a great idea. ) the only requirements was for it to have a sailing ship with the sails rolled up and anchored at harbour.
    Still another stunning carving. Now I wanna see the other doors!

JKJ

Hi guys. Thank you so much for the comments!

Hey Mel. It’s not quite that thick. Hahaha it’s a 2” (50mm) Door and The carve was about 1 1/4” (30mm) deep to the sky level.
    And your right, The Hammock idea would be spot on with the theme and super cool. But I saw the room after it was done. Beautiful as it is....no super cool hammock to be seen. But you’ve got me thinking about getting a hammock for the yard this summer! Aren’t they great.

Hey John. Thank you for that! I’ll Definately post the other 3 doors I carved for these folks in the next posts.

Thanks again guys. Regards Richard

Another beauty! Like I said in the "gate picture" post, it's definitely time to start a David or Pieta Richard.

(Or, since SMC is a woodworking forum, maybe warmup with a life size sculpture of woodworker Derek Cohen, a Perth native and SMC member, planing a board. )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

!!!!!!WHAT was that??
    GREAT JOB!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils