Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why cast iron?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    One thing I've always wondered is why we keep it bare. That's where most of the rust issues come from.
    Wasn't it also Steel City that offered titaninum nitride coated tables before they went out of business? I wonder how long the thin layer would last under constant use. I just put T9 and wax on my cast iron and it works good enough in rainy Portland, OR metro area.

I rebuild a lot of old cast iron woodworking machines, after all is done i wipe the raw cast surfaces with boiled linseed oil and turps.

Although maybe not as versatile in some instances and also probably not as cost effective, there are some pretty serious machines that are granite based, some are solid granite some are molded from granite aggregate and epoxy resin.

boti_tenova_pomini.jpg boti_n40_100_001_tour1.jpg

Hembrug From Holland have been in business a long time and years ago made some very nice standard metal lathes, and tool and cutter grinders, i had one of the tool and cutter grinders.They now make Ultra high precision lathes based on granite. http://www.hembrug.com/

hembrug-mikroturn-granite-machine-base.jpg

Kugler From Germany make ultra high precision lathes, fly cutters and milling machines. https://www.kugler-precision.com/ind...on-machines-EN

1657_466x600x72x72x80_Flycutter1000_4X.jpg 2188_175x600x72x72x80_MMB_6500_015.jpg 727_539x600x72x72x80_Drehtisch_RTV_2000_EFWPG_W1754.jpg731_400x600x72x72x80_Drehtisch_RTV_2000_W2587C.jpg 728_423x600x72x72x80_Drehtisch_RTV_2000_W1145.jpg

This is a very nice "home made" granite lathe.

Cast iron brings a lot of advantages...it has great mass to reduce vibration, machines easily because it's not terribly hard but is still very durable, holds fasteners well and lasts a long time with proper care.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    That is really cool!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    That is really cool!
    That guy is pretty cool, he has a bunch of videos, all quite interesting. By the way that's his basement workshop.

Blog Entries
    That guy is pretty cool, he has a bunch of videos, all quite interesting. By the way that's his basement workshop.
    I got a good laugh out of his line about how making one of those was pretty easy, though he seemed to mean that quite genuinely.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I got a good laugh out of his line about how making one of those was pretty easy, though he seemed to mean that quite genuinely.
    Easy is not the first word that springs to mind; fascinating project to consider. I think that besides the knowledge you would need some serious equipment. I would love to see a video of it being made.
    But it definitely gets your mind thinking that maybe you could make something using some of the systems that he used.

"Granite" lathe is a bit of a stretch.

Steel City machinery still being made by a company in Quebec, Canada.
    Made in Taiwan though. Interesting!
    https://www.steelcitymachines.ca/company/about-us.html

Cast iron rust? Sure but not like steel. No biggie. The granite gig is fine for memorials, surface plates, and counter tops. I'd never want it for a machine working surface.

Big problem is going to be the thickness needed to give adequate strength. I had a 1" thick marble slab on my RAS outside for cutting firewood and framing a shed. Dropped a 2x4 on it a few inches and it cracked. A standard 10" table saw would be lucky to have the blade come above the surface since the top slab would need to be 2-4 inches thick. Also stone and iron will move different amounts with temperature swings so they can not be firmly attached or the stone will crack or the metal bend and either way you lose the accurate setup and must adjust/recalibrate every time the temp changes.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Easy is not the first word that springs to mind; fascinating project to consider. I think that besides the knowledge you would need some serious equipment. I would love to see a video of it being made.
    But it definitely gets your mind thinking that maybe you could make something using some of the systems that he used.
    Absolutely, it's highly encouraging. I'm impressed by how stout it is, but actually seems considerably smaller scale that what I would have imagined to be required for making cylinders with a 1 micron slip fit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    "Granite" lathe is a bit of a stretch.
    I see a granite bed on the lathe, don't you?