Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What (and where) lumber to buy during my RV Trip

What (and where) lumber to buy during my RV Trip

Okay folks, I'm taking an RV trip this summer and am looking for recommendations as to what type of lumber is local to the areas I'm driving through and if there is anywhere that I should stop for it. I am traveling with my loving wife, her grandmother (who is a doll), and three teenagers for about two weeks. I would like to stay close to the main roads as possible as the RV is 30 feet long. My trip map is attached.

The end game here is two fold...or should I say two projects. The first will be a group of picture frames, each one made from one wood type from each area that will be filled with pictures of the group of us in that area. The second will be using the rest for another conversation piece in the house. Maybe a small table for the front door or who knows. That means need a good chunk from each area.

Please send me your thoughts.
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm going to suggest Irion Lumber in N-Central PA and Hearne Hardwoods in SE PA, but your route's not going to support either, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I live in NW IN, and could supply a few BF each of cherry (not as nice as PA cherry!!), hickory and poplar all harvested within 20 miles of my house over 20 years ago. Near I-90 & I-94. For retail, Johnson's Workbench in South Bend, IN is a few miles straight north of the South Bend exit from 80/90--most of their "local" wood is harvested in Michigan I think (their HQ & mill are in Charlotte, MI).
    earl

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm going to suggest Irion Lumber in N-Central PA and Hearne Hardwoods in SE PA, but your route's not going to support either, unfortunately.
    I agree on Hearne Hardwoods and will add Groff and Groff. I really miss living within day trip range of them.

If you are into veneering, swing over to Certainly Wood in East Aurora, NY......near Bufffalo.

In NJ, there is Williard Brothers in Trenton and then there is Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge. Williard Brothers is more exotic. Monteath is very basic along with some small amounts of exotic.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 03-29-2018 at 7:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Johnson's Workbench but you should try to stop at the one in Charlotte (pronounced char-LOTTE). I-94 to Marshall, MI. then north on I-69 about 10 miles.

7. It looks like Bristol Valley Hardwoods is close to your route. I am a regular customer. They are very helpful. Selection and prices are on their website.

http://www.bristolvalley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Robitaillle View Post
    Okay folks, I'm taking an RV trip this summer and am looking for recommendations as to what type of lumber is local to the areas I'm driving through and if there is anywhere that I should stop for it. ...
    Roger,

That sounds like a fun idea!

Looks like you'll be driving right through my farm. Well almost. I live not far north of where I-40 goes through Knoxville TN.

I have a sawmill and at the moment have some air dried 4/4 cherry and a little walnut from my own property, all roughsawn - can't get much more local than that. I am sawing eastern red cedar at the moment and have white oak and hickory logs and maybe a few cherry log but those won't be dry. Send me an email through the SMC message system if you are interested in a bit of those, no charge. (I don't sell lumber) You might need to define what you mean by "a good chunk" though!

If you want to buy lumber, there are commercial places that carry a wide variety of kiln dried hardwoods. One place is Jefferies Wood Works, a few miles south of Knoxville. You can look them up for location and phone number. They carry both local and exotic wood.

JKJ

Check the craigslist for every town you pass through. There are lots of independents selling mill run lumber for great prices.

If you are doing any hiking then consider taking a chainsaw to harvest small, fallen logs or branches. Bowls and spoons (assuming you have a lathe) are great mementos. Small logs are also easy to slab off into qs slabs for picture frames. You would have to take along a little end grain sealer...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Looks like you'll be driving right through my farm. Well almost. I live not far north of where I-40 goes through Knoxville TN.
    I hope you saw me wave when I was heading to Cartersville GA on the 14th. I even stopped at the 5-Guys right there off 40 just past Knoxville.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I hope you saw me wave when I was heading to Cartersville GA on the 14th. I even stopped at the 5-Guys right there off 40 just past Knoxville.
    Darn, and I had that truckload of cocobolo, purpleheart, african blackwood, and olive to give you. Oh well.

It's hard to pass up a 5-Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Darn, and I had that truckload of cocobolo, purpleheart, african blackwood, and olive to give you. Oh well.

It's hard to pass up a 5-Guys.
    Yea, the timing was right for a burger and more importantly, a bag of delicious fries. I was in the middle of a not quite 13 hour drive time journey or otherwise would have tried to catch up with you for a beverage at least, but only stopped for about 20 minutes so I could "arrive alive", as it were.... I'm sure we can connect at a better time for that load of delicious wood. LOL
    --

I think one needs to be aware of the various restrictions on transport of some species (walnut and ash in particular) across state lines due to the nasty bugs we have imported into the country. While it may seem to be a low risk issue, as woodworkers we need to protect our forests as much as possible. In addition, there are usually restrictions on cutting and removing "moments" from national forests and many state parks as well.

Long drive times are tough on the body, Roger. Hope you and the missus are trading off on those long distances between stops. Getting so an eight hour day is about as much as we can take....even with 5-Guys burgers and fries.