Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another TS Question: Stamped Steel vs. Cast Iron

Another TS Question: Stamped Steel vs. Cast Iron

I'm curious as to how important you guys think Cast Iron is to a table saw. Are stamped steel extensions okay or should I really go with cast iron? Would you consider that a deal breaker?

I realize I can save money now by going stamped steel then going with cast iron later but that would be the more expensive route in the long run.

Just wanting to get your thoughts.

I prefer cast iron and it would be a deal breaker.

I got the SS contractor saw last spring and wish I would have gotten the cast iron wings and I will be upgrading sometime soon. You cant get a tight seam between the cast iron top and the steel wings. At least, you cant on the SawStop. The steel is harder to keep clean and the uneven surface can be problematic when trying to align things. HIGHLY recommend the cast iron if you can swing the cost. The good news is that if you want to start with the steel wings and then upgrade later there is no difference in cost. $270 either way you go. Again, this is regarding SawStop. Not sure on other brands.

Deal breaker. My first saw was a Craftsman contractor with stamped steel wings, I hated them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    If I was framing out a house I don’t really care. If you want to make furniture and finer items cast-iron dampens vibration, adds mass, and assures a seamless work surface. Your satisfaction will vary with your use. On an early contractor saw I replaced the stamped wings with hardwood framed MDF panels to assure a true working surface. This worked fine and is probably still in use on the saw for the new owner. I also threw a 100 lb sack of cement wrapped in plastic in the base of that saw to up the mass.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-29-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I never had an issue with the stamped steel wings on my old Craftsman contractors saw which has the cast iron top. I still have the saw and use it in the house next door I have been renovating. I used the same saw to make raised panel kitchen cabinet doors without issue.

BUT I like the cast iron wings on my Grizzly 1023RLWX MUCH better. If I were buying a saw, and the option was either, I would buy the cast iron wings without question. But either work in my opinion. The ones I don't think I would want are those ones that were sometime found on Craftsman saws, that had ribs with lots of open spaces between them. Perhaps only because I have a unifence on both saws and those type are not unifence friendly.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I remember a long time ago when I was looking for my first TS. I was looking for a used saw and I considered those with stamped steel because I could get one cheaper. I'm glad I never went down that path. I've been very happy with both my Delta table saws. My first, which I still use, was a contractor's saw with CI wings and an extended table. I've also had a Unisaw for a few years now. If you're looking at used saws and I don't know why you wouldn't be you can definitely find what you want with some patience. Good luck in your search!

Pretty important to me that ALL my stationary tools have cast iron table tops.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Cast iron adds mass and in turn, helps reduce things like vibration. The surface is also very enjoyable to work on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The solid cast wings are great. Not a necessity, but a strongly preferred "nice to have" feature. My first saw had steel wings...my next 3 had solid cast iron. As Jim mentioned they add mass, and they also extend your solid flat reference surface. Steel wings are pretty easy to replace with something like a laminate topped torsion box.

Here's an example of a simple shop made extension:
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Cast iron adds mass and in turn, helps reduce things like vibration. The surface is also very enjoyable to work on.
    And stability

If it was a choice between a saw with stamped steel wings or no saw at all, I would buy the saw. I had a Sears contractor saw with stamped steel wings and used it for 25 years. I didn't like those stamped steel wings but it never prevented me from doing good work. Now I have a Unisaw. Much nicer saw and nice cast iron extension wings. Can it do better work? Not really, it's just easier to do good work.

Buy the best you can afford with no regrets.

John

Cast iron is important, and the more the better. Buy something nice and cry once, or buy something cheap and cry every time you use it.

Older machines have much more cast iron than newer ones, so if you are debating between a new cheap stamped-steel wing saw and a new saw that's a little more expensive with cast iron wings, get an older, larger, heavier saw with more cast iron and spend less than you would for the cheap new saw and end up with a lot better saw in the end.

Having made a living for the last forty years on a contractor saw with stamped steel wing on the left, and shop made melamine covered table on the right, I can't say that having a CI wing on left would have made any difference in my income. Cast iron wings are like Forest blades. Hobbiest think that having either will make them a better woodworker. One day, I will convert left wing to a router table, but it won't have a CI top.

Solid cast wings, first choice. Long time ago, I thought the webbed cast wings were very cool till my fingertip acted as a stop between a board and one of the webs. If I had to chose now between stamped or cast webbed I still might take the webbed and put filler strips in the gaps. (Did it on my Clausing and it works well) Still get the benefits of more weight over the stamped.