Thread: carving MDF

Question carving MDF

If I wanted to commit suicide I think one way would be to carve it with a flexshaft grinder. That said, I wonder if carving it with chisels would be safe? I wonder what it's effect would be on my expensive mallet tools? After all the result would be shavings and not dust which would get in your lungs. Even a mask might not keep that formaldehyde out.

Paul

This is MDF. Used a router and carving chisels. It was rough on the chisels as it dulled them very quickly. But none the worse for wear really. Doesn’t hold great detail. But for a simple one off sign like this it was worth doing .
    i used MDF as this was going to a shore house and with the extremes of temp. and moisture I felt it would be more stable than wood. Enamels and 23k gold.
    Sorry about the pic. No matter what I try it keeps posting sideways. You’ll get the idea anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 03-28-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

I've found that EXTERA brand outdoor mdf to cut nicely, at least in more prosaic work.

I’d say the ability to cut/carve this stuff would be mostly dependent on its density as it can be had in a variety of hardness and weight. Besides that I tend to think the OP has a project and is trying to find the “safest” way to handle it as far as health is concerned.

Grinding and raising dust vs. carving and having shavings. But you’d still have to sand it so there really isn’t a way around it.
    and if that is the issue why not just carve wood unless for some reason ,like my sign, MDF would be preferable. And , how involved is his design? If it’s simple like this sign the wear on tools isn’t even a concern.
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks Mark, for the reply. That's a very pretty sign and I would never have guessed it was MDF. I really didn't have a specific project in mind. Just getting information for future reference and I thought I might use it for practice as it is freely available and cheap. Basswood or Aspen is hard to find locally. Lowes used to sell Aspen but has stopped selling it now.

My pleasure Paul. Since that’s the case I would not recommend using it as practice. Not sure where your located but see if there isnt a lumber mill , a Millwork/cabinet shop or furniture shop somewhere around you. The basswood I posted in another thread came from a millwork shop just a half hr from me. Cheap at around $2.00 a BF. They also have bins with a variety of cutoffs for free.
    The Woodworking Studio

Yes, now that would be the place for me! We had a place about 10 miles from me( I live in Middle GA) that had small pieces like that that he would give me or sell for 10 dollars a trunk load but he died and his son didn't really want to carry on so he closed it after a year or two. Right now I use what Lowes call "Whitewood" and is really spruce or fir and I don't think they distinguish the difference. Carpenters don't care, but it's usually warped and no good except to practice on.