Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shark Guard users (especially with 4" ports) come on in please!

Sorry Mike I see now you had already typed that earlier. Thanks for the info!

Grant since you have the chops to fabricate your own Cyclone I would think that you would be capable of making a guard along the lines of the Excalibur dust arm (same as the new SawStop one) to collect the dust from the blade. You could still have the ARK mounted most of the time and when you have to remove it, use the one you make for the narrow or blind cuts. With the 16" impeller you are basically making a CV-Max so could easily put a 6" pipe to the base and a 4" above and even have another 6" with bell mouth somewhere above to scrub out even more escaping dust should you feel the need. Are you riveting or welding your cyclone together?

Yeah I'm thinking of building a guard, at some point I need to cut some wood though lol and the cost savings are much greater on the cyclone than the guard. My unisaw came with no splitter or guard so I'm not positive what I'm going to do, shark guard seems to get the highest marks on dust collection though.
    I'll probably weld the cyclone, my dad and I are good friends with guys that own and run a commercial hvac shop with a plasma table so that definitely helped me decide to move forward on this path!
    I'll make sure to post all about it in the shop made machines forum - this will be a major upgrade from my harbor freight dust distribution device lol

Look forward to seeing it. I had thought about making one from bending plywood and wood staves but decided to buy from CV. If you find the ARK isn't enough you can always make a guard then.

I've had my Shark for only a week, and feel stupid that I didn't buy it 10 years ago. I have the 2.5 version however, not sure if that can compare.

I have a Sharkguard on order. I talked to Lee and found out I can order both the 2.5 and 4 inch for an additional $15. I am in the process of getting my CVMAX set up and figure I will use the 4 in with it. In the meantime though I am using a 1100 2 hp collector hooked to the lower port and figure I can hook my DustCobra to the 2.5 guard until the cyclone is hooked up.

all my pipes are 6" pvc S&D pipe all the way to the tool - I bent PVC fittings, made wood/epoxy adapters so it is 6" at the tool itself - that DC just plains works - you will be amazed - only time dust is an issue is due to user stupidity - forget to open blast gate or over fill trash can, etc

I have an older version of the 4" Sharkguard mounted on a Sears Craftsman 10" zipcode saw (22124). I have 4" flex ducts connected both above the table and to a 4" cabinet port. Both 4" ducts connect via a 6" wye and then to a Clearvue 5hp cyclone which runs a 6" main. The upper keeps the table top very clean however dust still accumulates within the cabinet. Perhaps the cabinet port would benefit by being enlarged to 6". I also run an overhead room filter which is kept on at all times. With all of the above my dust counts are very low when I measure with my Dylos.

IMG_3267.jpg

I have a 4" SharkGuard connected to rigid ducting mounted on the ceiling, with the last 18" being flex duct. ~20' of 4" rigid duct into 10' of 8" duct into a 5HP DC.

I keep the blast gate on the SharkGuard closed 1/2 way or more, to avoid sucking up fairly large offcuts. Fully open, it will lift a 2' * 2" *3/4" offcut off the table, and 'quicker than you can say snot' it will suck a 2"*3" square offcut into the DC. I just emptied my DC this weekend and found a lot of offcuts.

If I was cutting a lot of MDF I might like the 4" for the additional airflow, but for my needs I think a 3" port would be fine.

FWIW, the SharkGuard is well engineered and well built. Very easy to remove when needed, and I even use it to vacuum off the top of the table for those times when I make a cut and forget to open up the SharkGuard blast gate.

My only problem is I occasionally hit the knobs holding the SharkGuard onto the riving knife with the knobs on the stops on my Fritz/Franz jig, when making very narrow cuts (like 1"). I need to rebuild the stops on my F/F jig to move the lock knobs further to the left so they can't hit the lock knobs on the SharkGuard.
    Mark McFarlane

I can't see that going bigger than 4" is any advantage as all the guards including the shark guard cannot supply enough air even at 4". It has been have found that a three sided guard with no back is way better and no dust escapes at all as the open back supplies the air. Of course this means it has to be mounted from an overhead boom but it also means it can be pushed sideways for fence clearance if the mount is designed correctly.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Of course this means it has to be mounted from an overhead boom but it also means it can be pushed sideways for fence clearance if the mount is designed correctly.
    Where can I see a picture of a set up like this ? I have the overhead DC pipe run up in the garage attic with a stub though the ceiling over the table saw. Then I stopped working on the project because I was unsure of what I wanted to make. What you describe sounds good to me.

Go to the Ubeaut Australian woodworking forum and look in the dust extraction sub forum. Either have a search through there or post and ask the question. There is a ton of useful documented work on all sorts of issues to do with dust extraction for the woodworker, the most anywhere in the world as far as I know.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening