Thread: The World's Most Stuck-est Wooden Plane Depth Stop

The World's Most Stuck-est Wooden Plane Depth Stop

I'm stumped on this one.
    IMG_5303.jpg IMG_5304.jpg IMG_5305.jpg

I think what happened is the depth stop was raised all the way so that the edges of the metal were below the edges of the mortise, and then the wood swelled a little bit basically creating a mechanical lock.

My only idea so far short of removing some wood would be to bow/bend the steel just enough move it up above the edge of the mortise. The depth stop is already bowed a little bit as seen in the second picture, maybe from the wood swelling, so it looks like it might be doable without causing too much damage.

What say ye plane restoration aficionados?

You could try taking out the screws holding the top brass retainer plate at the brass headed adjuster screw, then unscrewing the adjuster screw a bit to create some slack, then tapping on the adjuster screw to pop out the lower stuck plate. (If you don't want to hit your nice brass topped adjuster screw, replace it with a steel bolt to hit on)
    P1030883.jpg

Very carefully measure how far it sticks out at the both ends and in the middle of each of the pieces.

It could well be that it got shoved out farther on one end and cocked a bit... And now it is wedged.

Use a soft piece of wood to give the high end a tap back to level and see if that frees it up...

Be sure to remove your screws and nuts before this... Don't want to bend any precious hardware...

Try wrapping the lot in plastic sheeting and ensure that it is waterproof. Then stick it in the freezer. Everything should contract a little, and unstick.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the advice guys, a combination of ideas worked!

I left it in the freezer last night and then this morning removed the top part with the brass thumbscrew. I had been reluctant to do so in the past because I was told that it was likely to either break the two screws or strip the threads but both of these came out very easily. Perhaps the tiny bit of shrinkage due to temperature helped. As for the depth stop itself, I had to tap it out with a dowel and hammer but it came out without causing any damage to the wood. There was no mechanical lock do to the wood swelling around the depth stop shoe, it was just that the depth stop post (rectangular piece) was tight in the mortise.
    IMG_5309.jpg IMG_5310.jpg

Be very careful when you put this back together to keep the alignment just right so it doesn't bind or catch the edge of the wood...

It's probably worthwhile to feel these sliding metal parts for burrs and any raised spots from corrosion - and gently ease any burrs with a fine arkansas stone..

I have run into pieces along these lines where someone had tried to tap it out with a hammer and punch or pry it out with a screwdriver and raised a nasty burr... And they won't reassemble without damage if you don't very gently deburr them..

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, a combination of ideas worked!

I left it in the freezer last night and then this morning removed the top part with the brass thumbscrew. I had been reluctant to do so in the past because I was told that it was likely to either break the two screws or strip the threads but both of these came out very easily. Perhaps the tiny bit of shrinkage due to temperature helped. As for the depth stop itself, I had to tap it out with a dowel and hammer but it came out without causing any damage to the wood. There was no mechanical lock do to the wood swelling around the depth stop shoe, it was just that the depth stop post (rectangular piece) was tight in the mortise.
    IMG_5309.jpg IMG_5310.jpg
    I might lap this smooth and wax prior to reassembly. A cleaning and wax coating of the mortise might be a good idea too. Cool plane!
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 03-28-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I might lap this smooth and wax prior to reassembly. A cleaning and wax coating of the mortise might be a good idea too. Cool plane!
    That's the plan. It is way too tight as is and it's been inside in the driest climate it will ever see.

matthew had the same problem with one of my plow planes too, except the brass retainer plate cracked in half had to make a new one. i used a fine mill file on the dept stop and put a coat of wax on it and in the mortice when i put it back together. jerry