Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying new lathe for bowl blanks

Buying new lathe for bowl blanks

Wood Turners,

I am looking to purchase a new lathe primarily for turning bowls and things from larger blanks. I have turned some in the past but not many bowls. I have used some old Powermatic Lathes and a Jet 1440. My budget is 1500-1800. I am looking at Grizzly but prefer a Jet, nothing used has popped up in my area. I have mixed feelings on the Grizzly but you guys seem to have good luck with them are they are most definitely in my price range, which will allow for some extra turning tools and chucks. If you guys could throw some ideas out there on what you would do i appreciate your experience and wisdom. I have thought about the NOVA 16 X 24 but i don't know if its powerful enough to handle larger blanks?
    Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ray

Grizzly G0766 is my first real lathe (can't count a 1956 Shopsmith). I have turned lots of bowls and urns and spindles, and ornaments. It works well, and has plenty of power. I bought it before they had even shipped a single unit into the US. I am very happy with the purchase, and if minor problems have occurred (bad speed potentiometer 2x) Grizzly Customer Service has come through with speed and reliability. It gets my vote, if I ever have to do it again.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Ray, you don't list your location and that might help with suggestions. My first thought is to get with your local turning club. Seems someone is always trying to upgrade and you might find a good deal on a used 'larger' lathe. Good luck and I hope you consider all the brands and don't get talked into a machine just because it is heavily promoted here.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I turn large blanks on a Nova 1624; wet sweetgum, pecan, oak, 14-15" . Minimum speed 178 RPM. The only way to make it work is to make them round on the band saw, then trim the odd bumps using a 4" grinder with a Lancelot or similar carving disc. I've never stalled it, but I have made the drive belt slip. You also can turn the drive head 270 degrees and mount the rest on the back side so that you don't hit the rails until you have clearance diameter. Still....it's a sphincter-tightener.

I have a 16-24 Nova and have maxed it out many many times /// and it handled everything I've thrown at it. Without the DVR it is a great buy. I have a Powermatic 3520b ...and I stall it regularly. For the money, I think the Grizley 0766 is a GREAT BUY.

Location Bowling Green KY.

Thanks for the info, do you guys think the older Powermatic 45 and 90 are out of the question for serious bowl turning? I see them for sale quite often but i didn't know about low speed and power.

Well, my main question for you would be are you planning to sell your bowls? If so, then you will want 220 volts and 2 hp. There are a lot of options in that range. Perhaps the other consideration is how big to you want to turn. The market for bowls over 14 to 16 inch diameter is fairly small and more of a specialty market, and the jump up from 16 inch lathes to 20 to 24 inch lathes is considerable. As a 'semi-pro' I buy my tools not based on cost, but based on how much money they will make for me, so value is more important.

robo hippy

i would more than likely try to sell the finished product. I have too many hobbies to pass up a chance to make money!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Hammer View Post
    Location Bowling Green KY.
    Ray, if you'd like to try turning on a Grizzly G0766, I am located just below Nashville, TN, and I could have you come out and try mine. Or post a thread on the Green Giant Monster Group (GGMG) forum under Community - Groups header above, and maybe there's someone even closer.

If you want to try Powermatics or Jet lathes, there's probably someone very close to you that would let you try out turning on there equipment. We're all pretty open to showing off our cool tools. (I hope I am not speaking out of turn - no pun intended).
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 03-28-2018 at 1:45 PM.

Ray, I live relatively close to you in Elizabethtown, KY and own a G0766. I was looking on the Louisville craigslist the other day and there was a used G0766 in Louisville with several accessories for $2000 I believe. I don't know if that was a good price or not, but probably worth looking into

https://louisville.craigslist.org/tl...541212302.html, yep, it's still listed - seems like a few chucks, tool rests and gouges. Might be worth a call. No warranty, but... parts if ever needed can be purchased from Grizzly.

I have had my eye on that, apparently the larger grizzly lathes are all on back order. So a new one may not be an option for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ward View Post
    Ray, I live relatively close to you in Elizabethtown, KY and own a G0766. I was looking on the Louisville craigslist the other day and there was a used G0766 in Louisville with several accessories for $2000 I believe. I don't know if that was a good price or not, but probably worth looking into
    Small world...my Father's family is from Hopkinsville and Todd Cy

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Hammer View Post
    I have had my eye on that, apparently the larger grizzly lathes are all on back order. So a new one may not be an option for a while.
    What is Grizzly's projected next shipment of available to purchase units due to hit the US?