Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying new lathe for bowl blanks

My lowest lathe speed is 300, and not slow enough for large rough blanks. So my view, would be to get something that offers speeds down to almost zero. I don't turn enough large bowls to make it worth while switching to another lathe.

I currently have my G0766 set on the low speed pulleys, and can run easily down to about 50 rpm, and it's pretty steady. Once I get the corners knocked off of a rough log piece, and steadily increase speed to as much as I feel safe. The only stalling I've ever noticed is when I get a catch, and the spur drive drills into the wood. The lathe does not stall, the wood does.

If I am turning spindles or small lidded boxes, I go to the high speed pulley setting. Lowest speed on that combination might be about 100 rpm.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Hammer View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you guys think the older Powermatic 45 and 90 are out of the question for serious bowl turning? I see them for sale quite often but i didn't know about low speed and power.
    I had a PM90. I don't think this is the lathe you want. Most are three phase and usually the ones for sale do not have a VFD with them. Most are 1 hp, where 2 hp is much better. The PM 90 has a 12" swing meaning 11" bowl is the biggest you could turn. I raised mine to 18", but this is another mod and expense. For bowls, having a sliding headstock is very nice and the PM 90 headstock does not slide. They are great lathes, but you give up several features vs newer lathes. I have sold mine and bought a Laguna Revo 18-36. I like the Laguna much better having features the PM 90 did not.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 03-29-2018 at 3:08 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What is Grizzly's projected next shipment of available to purchase units due to hit the US?
    Per grizzly customer service, they will start filling back-orders May 29th!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Hammer View Post
    Per grizzly customer service, they will start filling back-orders May 29th!
    That CL listing looks pretty tempting with all of the additional tools thrown in. Maybe $5-600 worth of extras if you had to go out and buy them.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.