Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: show me your sinks!

show me your sinks!

So I have plumbing roughed in in my shop, but want to figure out what type of sink to put in. I'm not a big fan of the big plastic things on legs that you see around the box stores. I will have a counter top as I use water stones in my sharpening and will likely locate a sharpening station close to the sink.

But what type of material for a shop sink? Plastic seems to stain easily. Stainless seems to cost a lot. Not sure how to proceed and am hoping someone out there has the perfect solution.

Stainless would be my choice. All you have is plastic (fiberglass), porcelain, stainless. You can get a stainless kitchen style sink for a couple hundred dollars.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Stainless for the obvious reason...it's not affected by many things that might find their way into that sink and is easy to clean...and deep. You can usually find deeper, larger, single basin stainless drop-ins that will do the job. Deeper is more versatile like a laundry tub would be, but with a more attractive look. Do not use a double sink...that was a mistake I made in our kitchen and I regret it greatly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I like the plastic one I have. If I bump tool edges against it, no harm, no foul. It does not clean up well so if you are after looks, something else, anything else, would be the choice. I added a shop made version of a trap-sump and have been very glad I did.

Trap-eze-shop-made.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-27-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn: This is genius.

What about one of those lab style sinks made from epoxy resin? I don't have one but they always seemed cool to me and a throwback to high school chemistry class.

Find a habitat store - you might get lucky on a cheap stainless sink.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Good idea. I checked on the prices and they look to be quite expensive. somewhere in the $350 for a 24"x20"x10" deep. Other than the price, they would be a good choice.

Take the cost of what you're really like to use and spread it over the time you expect to enjoy the use of the sink. Since it's not something that you likely would want to change later, perhaps getting what you really want and can use effectively up front is a good choice, even with a little more cost at first.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good thought. I tend to lean this way, but have a hard time paying so much for a sink. However, I surely haven't found anything else that I like and the difference between the lab sink and a high quality stainless isn't very much overall.

+ 1 for the Habitat ReStore idea. You are outfitting a workshop; a large second hand sink that does not leak should do fine, it will save you a lot of money, and the money you do spend will go toward a worthy cause.

Try to find an antique store or a place that sells salvage items. I have seen the large cast iron/ceramic coated sinks that many have used on the outside of a shed that many have discarded for more modern offerings. Hard, heavy and should last a lifetime.

The house I grew up in had a porcelain over steel/iron self-standing deep sink in the shop/garage. We put that sink through hell, rebuilding cars and boats, and so many other things. It's still there, still just fine, almost 40 years later. It's no longer pretty, but it's still in good usable condition with no rust or other issues.

Look into restaurant supply houses and see what they have in used sinks. I do not think you need the potscrubber with heater types.
    Bill D.

Mike:

that would also be a good option if I can find one. I've checked the local ReStore and they don't have what I'm looking for. I want a sink that is a bit deep so I can fit some things in it like a bucket.

Jeff.