Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new build thread?

There is an area, beside the Mitre Box Bench and the wall....scraps on such seem to hide out there...
    IMG_3830 (640x480).jpg
    Tomorrow, I'll see about dragging things out of this corner....Firepit will see most of this mess. I might slide the old bandsaw ( not in use, anyway) over to the til bench. Then slide the SKIL Router Table into where the bandsaw used to be. Hopefully, that will keep junk from building up in there.
    IMG_3825 (640x480).jpg
    Broom and a leaf rake...and a snowshovel....Back stiffened up...too much bending over to pick things off the floor. May dump some of the mess into the Garden Plot...free mulch? Wonder how many tools wound up back in that corner...

Had enough fun for a day...until time to light the firepit...

Just don't work yourself too hard, that's a lot of clean up. I got a few more pieces cut to length on the chisel rack I'm working on; will need to plane them flat, smooth and square the next opportunity I get. That'll be a few days from now.
    Did not get any clean up done here today. Got together with good friends this afternoon and made some music instead.

Ok...Decided the trash bag was just full enough...45 pounds is easier to haul up the stairs than the 100 pounder was...
    Decided to take a break from the clean-up, and make a bit of sawdust, today.....re-sawdust, that is...set up the bandsaw for a 3/8" thick cut..
    IMG_3836 (640x480).jpg
    Re-saw fence, high-tech clamp. Ran some Pine boards through..
    IMG_3834 (640x480).jpg
    Even did a glue-up..
    IMG_3839 (640x480).jpg
    Mating edges were already jointed, easier to resaw, that way. Then rotate them like opening a book, spread a bead of glue, clamp it up for a day...others were jack planned flat..
    IMG_3842 (640x480).jpg
    Made a jig out of 1/4" plywood. Might try to build a box..
    IMG_3840 (640x480).jpg
    And find a use for the rest of the thin Pine..
    IMG_3837 (640x480).jpg
    Which left this to be swept up..
    IMG_3845 (640x480).jpg
    Now sitting in the Yellow Scooper, awaiting a trip to the firepit...
    Back stiffened back up...time for a break.
    Have helpers coming tomorrow, once they wake up....maybe finish the clean up?
    Stay tuned...

This being a Monday...shop will be closed for the day....maybe.....depends on how other things go. IF I get a little help moving things around, I can get the last of the clean up done. Then the Boss wants the other half of the basement cleaned out.....

Stay tuned...

They are calling for a high of 44 here, still somewhere around 30 right now. Rest of the week looks better.
    "Boss" has got some "things" for me to do today as well, but I haven't received my marching orders yet.

One "Honey-do" task was done....and the brakes for the van replaced...that was it for today. Rather boring, actually.....about like a day off? Maybe tomorrow, I can get back to the shop?

Well, Tuesday is here, shop is open. Promptly made mess..
    IMG_3846 (640x480).jpg
    Tracked this mess down to two culprits..
    IMG_3847 (640x480).jpg
    Panel is out of the clamps, and has been flattened, for now...
    IMG_3848 (640x480).jpg
    I also flattened the two long sides..
    IMG_3849 (640x480).jpg
    A look at the soles of the two planes..
    IMG_3853 (640x480).jpg
    And the difference between a smoother (#4) and a Jack...While digging out, I found a couple "Accent" pieces to add to the box..
    IMG_3852 (640x480).jpg
    Have a few pieces to flatten yet..
    IMG_3851 (640x480).jpg
    Might turn these two into a bottom for the box?
    Swept the floor, again...started hauling out a few loads to the Firepit..
    IMG_3861 (640x480).jpg
    This be Load #4 for today....
    Stay tuned...details from the excavations coming up...

Ok, First I had to lift this thing out of it's hole..
    IMG_3860 (640x480).jpg
    At least it wasn't the main bandsaw....might have been a bit much to lift & Carry....stated to find a few "goodies" buried back there..
    IMG_3854 (640x480).jpg

The #4 is there for scale....next..
    IMG_3855 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley Handyman square....next..
    IMG_3856 (640x480).jpg
    Couple of "Original" boxes...60-1/2...1455....next..
    IMG_3857 (640x480).jpg
    5/8" Plug cutter...and..
    IMG_3862 (640x480).jpg
    Piece of 6/4 Maple. Might be able to cobble a few chisel handles?
    IMG_3859 (640x480).jpg
    Have about 4 more loads for the firepit....maybe later, once the first four loads have burned down...
    Maybe tomorrow, I can start on building a "simple" box?
    Stay tuned..

As for that box build.....thinking a hinged lid. Corners to be hand-cut finger joints. Will have to select a size of a chisel to chop with, to set how thick the fingers will be. Sides are a bit thin, to groove for a bottom panel....may try something else...Maybe a pedestal for the box to sit in, and hold the bottom panel? might have enough extra Pine for that....I suppose I could cobble something up? We'll see, after all that clean-up is done.

I now have a smaller trashcan..with wheels! I can wheel it up to the firepit. All burnables from the shop can be tossed into the can...it even has a lid! Need to find a spot to sit it in, in the shop. Boss does have a small wastebasket, for her Laundry stuff....might toss non-burnable stuff in there. At least TRY to keep the mess somewhat under control.

Stay tuned....firepit starts in a couple hours...bring something to "roast"..hotdogs? marshmallows,?

Hot dogs sound good. Or what my mother called Pocket Stew. Hamburger, potato slices, onion. bell pepper, wrapped in foil and tossed in the coals til done.
    You will be stylin' with the new trash can! I actually need to get me a wheelbarrow for the same purpose. Since I'm working outside, I just need to chuck everything in it and wheel it down the hill.

Dropping back here...easier to catch up. Corner has been cleaned out..
    cleaned corner.jpg
    Old Bandsaw placed in it's new home...
    bandsaw stashed.jpg
    As soon as I get this thing cleaned off..
    router table.jpg
    The router table will sit in beside the bandsaw. Trashcan?
    shop trash can.jpg
    Now...a "before"
    the Before.jpg
    And then..the "after"..
    the After.jpg
    The second square found in the mess?
    try square.jpg
    Cleaned up nicely. Need to haul the trash can out of the shop, though..
    filled up.jpg
    Too windy outside, to burn in the firepit...maybe tomorrow night, eh?

Maybe another day, and then back to woodworking..stay tuned...

Yep. You're ready to dirty that all back up now.
    Nice job!

Steve, hope the tests and MD visits give you some good reports...Got to get you back in the shop full time...Take care of yourself ..
    Listen to your MDs..
    Jerry

Thyroid is back to "normal" levels...lung Doctor visit next Tues. ( COPD), and a recheck with the "head" doctor on the 26th.

High winds today.....a lot of the ashes are getting blown out of the fire pit.....found two items I missed in the clean up..
    firepit items.jpg
    A Seymour Smith & Sons spokeshave. The other items? All that remains of a Veritas MK1 honing guide....was about worn out, anyway, but still....
    Spokeshave merely lost all of it's paint, did not warp any...have it outside, soaking in WD40.....will clean it up, later..

Maybe I can do a bit of wood working later? We'll see.

Glad for the good news on the thyroid!
    Love a spokeshave, btw. Only got one, but I see them often, and will probably end up with a few more. Beautiful things.