Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new build thread?

That is a strange looking drill. But I like your choice of beverage.

I hope to be able to build furniture like that one day. Lovely.

Drill is called a Hammerhead. Was sold at Menard's a while back......about like a 90 degree drill....and has a hammer setting as well. Even has a light!

Mountain Dew for the driver......two plates full of food got washed down with a single beer.....

Been working on a new til for the brace drill...
    drill til.jpg
    Stage 1.....reinforced the slots with a screw..
    block, and slots.jpg
    Slots were cut with a backsaw..
    chisel and mallet.jpg
    Mallet and chisel to remove the waste.
    May get a shelf or something in the bottom..
    open area.jpg
    Once the til is in it's new home. Screws to hold the til upright ( there's a lot of weight hanging there..) May just add a top with a drawer or two.
    junk pile.jpg
    Have to clear all this off, and move the drill press to the left.

Picked up a 1 x 10 x 4' today..."Birdseye Pine". About like the one I used in that cupboard. I also picked a new 1" wide wheel for the grinder.

Thyroid levels are half of what they are supposed to be....working on that. Have sent the DVD of the MRI of my head over to the Brain Doctor's office. I see the lung doctor on the 17th, and check back in with the brain guy on the 26th.....waiting to here the blood work results from today's visit to the Family (Thyroid) Doctor....hard to keep all they people straight...

May resaw the fancy Maple ito a small box...and use the Pine for the drill til..Til holds 10 inside, and one hangs on the outside. Have one more brace, but...the 14" Stanley is just too big for this til. It is hanging out with the eggbeaters...

IF I can get a little time to hide out IN the shop, I might get something done...maybe.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time keeping track, too.

Wasn't any shoptime today....have a small creek running across the shop floor. April Monsoons. Maybe in a couple days, I can get back to work?

Booo. Hope it dries up soon.

Was almost dry, today...soo, I cleared off a space..
    IMG_3780 (640x480).jpg
    Decided to rearrange things a bit. Brass wheel was moved to the other side of the grinder, a new 1" wide "fine" wheel was added...
    IMG_3781 (640x480).jpg
    Sanding center and the grinder switched places....
    IMG_3782 (640x480).jpg
    Needed to move the drill press to the left...but still have it clear the rest of the stuff. Had to re-route the power cords a bit
    IMG_3783 (640x480).jpg
    Need to find a few cable ties, too. Lot of junk got tossed, lots of crud swept off. Bench top is an old table top, sitting on a pair of sawhorses . Sanding center can be reset to allow other items to be used..
    IMG_3785 (640x480).jpg
    The table can be removed, to allow me to work with the Monarch Vise. Air compressor is on the floor below this spot,

Now, about the drill til? well, a bit of a long story...but. I ripped the figured 1 x 10 down to match the top of the til...
    IMG_3786 (640x480).jpg
    Laid out some pilot holes, and then countersunk them..
    IMG_3788 (640x480).jpg
    Part 2 coming up...stay tuned

Ok, part 2.... Installed the top to the til...then moved the assembly to the new home..
    IMG_3789 (640x480).jpg
    Still have a couple storage areas in front of it...
    IMG_3790 (640x480).jpg
    A little overhang on the right, to cover #11 drill.
    Now...any flat area does not stay empty very long in this shop..
    IMG_3800 (640x480).jpg
    Couple spokeshaves, most of the squares, and a marking gauge....Box top?
    IMG_3801 (640x480).jpg
    I have a couple other boxes on their way....might add "keepers" on the top, to keep the squares in place..
    #12 drill brace? Well, it is hanging out with the eggbeaters..
    IMG_3794 (640x480).jpg
    Still have a lot of that figured pine left...
    IMG_3799 (640x480).jpg
    Along with a few "plain" pieces...might be a box project in there..somewhere? We'll see

Stay tuned...

Nice! Good use of all the surface area. Love me a spokeshave!
    Pine is lovely, as usual. But I love pine. If I could afford hard wood, I'd still buy a boatload of pine as well.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 04-04-2018 at 9:15 PM.

Hmmm, cleaned out the old drawer..
    IMG_3804 (640x480).jpg
    Now, I get to go and buy a few contractor sized trash bags..
    IMG_3805 (640x480).jpg
    Have about two bags worth to haul away. Found all the hammers there were in the shop, and put them in a "til" for now
    IMG_3812 (640x480).jpg
    Found a few files, a few clamps, a slick..
    IMG_3809 (640x480).jpg
    Hard to imagine something this big..
    IMG_3803 (640x480).jpg
    Could hide in that drawer. even found a second sabre saw, a corner clamp, to go with the other two I have
    IMG_3816 (640x480).jpg
    Even a second mallet..
    IMG_3813 (640x480).jpg
    There was even a speed square buried in there!

Going out to get the trash bags in a bit.....then I can continue with this "Spring Cleaning"...
    Files that didn't have a handle...were placed in a drawer....handled ones, and a slick are now sitting in the drawer..
    IMG_3810 (640x480).jpg
    Not too sure about that drill bit....
    Stay tuned....

looks like you need to dig around in old drawers more often.

Basically took today off from the shop (took Olde Parte Nap, instead) got a trash bag ready for tomorrow, had to go out to the Blue Borg, for a new light bulb for the bandsaw.....takes a bayonet style 25 watt, 120V bulb. Twin contacts on the base. Was with the other "Appliance Lighting" bulbs. ( Think Microwave lights) Just under $5..

Last night, it was the Firepit's turn...had a LOT of cardboard to get rid of. City will NOT recycle the stuff....pine shavings make excellent fire-starters. Some of the bad scraps may wind up in the Firepit....saves stuffing them into a trash bag. Maybe I can do a Spring Cleaning this weekend? Anyone want to come and help out?

Bit far for me to travel. Speaking of clean up, I need to clean up all the wood shavings and off cuts around my bench outside. Neighbor has a big fire pit I can toss 'em on. Need to plane a couple more boards for this current project and then it's all fiddly stuff from there.

Turning into a clean up thread....well..today was two tries to get something done. First one of these is in the trash can..
    IMG_3824 (640x480).jpg
    Weighs about..100 pounds...had to take a break after hauling this TO the trash can...also made a few trips with one of these..
    IMG_3823 (640x480).jpg
    Have made about 4 or 5 trips to the backyard's firepit...shavings and scraps..
    IMG_3827 (640x480).jpg
    Cable ties to tie up the first trash bag. I also tidied up the power cords..
    IMG_3826 (640x480).jpg
    Goal today...was to clean outthis mess..
    IMG_3831 (640x480).jpg
    Either into the firepit, or a trash bag..
    IMG_3833 (640x480).jpg
    Getting there. Also cleaned out from under the benches, this one..
    IMG_3829 (640x480).jpg
    And this one ( mitre box bench) also under the bandsaw..( with a brand new light bulb...)
    IMG_3828 (640x480).jpg
    Need to get this to dry out a bit, anyway. Have one other area that needs cleaned out..
    Stay tuned.