Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new build thread?

Did not take all that long to rehab the spokeshave..
    IMG_3885 (640x480).jpg
    Cold Gun Blue paste, instead of paint....
    IMG_3886 (640x480).jpg
    Sole needed work, anyway..
    IMG_3887 (640x480) (2).jpg
    Iron is sharpened back up, ready to go.
    Now, I have three spokeshaves to choose from...
    IMAG0001.jpg

That thing looks great! I like the idea of using the gun blue.

Dropping back here, again. Was "distracted" by a HUGE yard sale....First day on Thursday....picked a 1/2" pipe clamp, and a $5 box lot...
    box lot 1.jpgknives.jpg
    Screwdriver with the red & black hollow handle....had the Torx bit I needed to change out the Hi-mount Brake light on the van.
    yard sale row.jpg
    Three tool chests....had to come back today to buy one of them..
    tool box.jpg
    Full of odd tools, fittings and..
    bungee cords.jpg
    Still doing an inventory...that "T" fitting?
    pipe clamp.jpg
    Is the pipe clamp. May shorten it down a bit, and ditch the fitting.
    Weather is to turn nasty tomorrow, maybe I can hide out in the shop, and make a bit of sawdust. Was way too windy today to burn shavings.

Nice haul. I saw two or three old tool boxes rust hunting the other day. Lots of tools I already had, so left them.

Glad to hear you rec'd a good report from the MDs......Get back in the shop...
    Jerry

Once I get all the rust Hunt items cleaned and put away...then I can start on a bit of sawdust making...

Traded off a couple extra planes for a few items....a 6" square, a Versatool screwdriver, and a Stanley #60-1/2. Block plane is done, and ready to go to work. square is cleaned up, needs checked to see how "square" it is.

Hmmm...hand-cut box/finger joints? Will see how they turn out, in 3/8" Pine. Stay tuned...

Jointed the edges of two "side" pieces...and squared the ends. Haven't decided how long they will be, yet.
    "Trade-in" plane was making a few shavings..
    IMG_3915 (640x480).jpg
    Then, being a Monday, things got turned sideways..
    IMG_3921 (640x480).jpg
    Made walnut replacement wedges for the old plough plane..still fine tuning them.
    IMG_3923 (640x480).jpg
    Cut down a bit of Ash....the old fence is getting replaced...needed to make the rebate..
    IMG_3927 (640x480).jpg
    Set the #78 for width, and planed away...I also cut out a maple blank..
    IMG_3928 (640x480).jpg
    Rough cut. Both for shape, and thickness. Shaping down will be another day. Couple of "runs" to the stores....some for this computer. and some for the shop..
    IMG_3926 (640x480).jpg
    Plus a few sanding belts for the beltsander. Just another Monday....Tuesday finally got here..got all the problems fixed on the computer..then the Internet goes down..finally got that back up...that will be enough for this very L O N G day...Visit with the Lung Doctor Tuesday afternoon...stay tuned...

Hope you get good news at the Doc's.

Ok....dusty from all the shaping going on...but,
    IMG_3929 (640x480).jpg
    Kept test fitting until it did indeed fit..
    IMG_3930 (640x480).jpg
    Maybe some fine sanding? Had a glue-up going on, as well...
    IMG_3931 (640x480).jpg
    One of the posts had split....and broke off. Cleaned it up, and glued it back in place. Had the fence drilled and counter sunk..
    IMG_3932 (640x480).jpg
    But had to go out and buy a couple new #10 woodscrews....as these were about...
    IMG_3933 (640x480).jpg
    Shot. This was even after I wire-wheeled all the rust & Crud off.

Debating on adding a screw to the handle.....just into the toe section? Dovetailed mortise is just about all gone....and I am not too crazy about relying on just glue to hold the handle...
    Think I have the wedges to lock the fence's arms about fitted....arms are tapered, too...wedges needed to be a bit longer than the old, worn down ones...too many hammer smacks in the last 150+ years.

Lung Doctor visit? Just renewed the inhalers (2) and said see you in 3 months....

Well...got things put back together, iron sharpened up, it's wedge needed some fine adjusting. Got out the Golden Oak Stain...then the amber shellac...PIP?
    side view.jpg
    Went ahead with the #10 screw to secure the tote....dovetail part was worn away....and I didn't want to rely on just glue..
    rear view.jpg
    Wedges for the fence were tuned up. Fence attached to the arms. Used new #10 wood screws.
    grooved.jpg
    Test drive. Set the fence for 1/4" from the edge....there is no depth stop on this plane..
    Shavings curl up and spiral out the right side of the plane..
    shavings.jpg
    I think this will do. May need a few more coats.

Needed to get this done, before some of the parts walked away. Now, maybe I can start a box project?
    Stay tuned..

Took three saws out to get sharpened, today. Not much else got done. A 5 x 30 saw for the Langdon ACME No. 75....a Richardson Brothers crosscut, and a Disston D-8 panel saw. Will pick them back up next Tuesday...maybe......May have to wait until a week from Friday...teeth are too small for me to see..let alone set and sharpen.

Plane looks good.
    On the saws, I need a magnifying head visor to sharpen and set 10 tpi, so I sympathize.
    And that sounds like good news on the Lung doctor visit. Awesome.

Dropping back here, again. Shop is cleaned up, needed to get the plough plane done, so I wouldn't loose any parts. Cleared the bench, and started back making saw dust and shavings....a Build Thread.
    IMG_3947 (640x480).jpg
    Used my Mitresaw to square a few ends..( you were expecting something with a motor?)
    IMG_3944 (640x480).jpg
    Making shavings....Stanley.No. 7 and a No. 14 (Millers Falls, #5 size)....
    Clamped a few boards together, jointed the edges, after getting them to the same thickness....one was an 1/8" thicker....was trying to get two edges to match..
    IMG_3946 (640x480).jpg
    Yes, there ARE two boards sitting there. Was gluing up a panel for a box's bottom panel..
    IMG_3948 (640x480).jpg
    Let this sit a day, or two.
    Got out a few toys..
    IMG_3950 (640x480).jpg
    This will be an end for the box. Pencils and the chisel were used to lay out for some Box/Finger Joints on the ends of the two sides.
    IMG_3949 (640x480).jpg
    "X" marks the waste I have to remove. Need to saw on the waste side, use that 1/4" chisel to chop the waste out....then cut the matching fingers on the end piece.
    Top and bottom panels will get a pine molding to attach to the box. Lid will be just a lift off item....debating on a knob/handle to use.

back to being a Build Thread..stay tuned...

Aaaand, we're off!
    Nice glue up.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 04-20-2018 at 8:19 PM.

Not much got done today....had a Stanley No. 5-1/2 to tune up. Also had yet another road trip...this time I went to a couple sales....spent $5 on a metal box
    box closed.jpg
    But this one wasn't empty...
    box opened.jpg
    1/4" B&D drill. May get the drill index filled up..needed a spot to store all the loose bits, anyway.
    Plane was sharpened, chipbreaker tuned up..
    IMG_3954 (640x480).jpg
    May use it, or that #4 behind it to smooth out the panel..
    IMG_3956 (640x480).jpg
    Since it is now out of the clamps...

Three yard sales..and all I got was that metal box
    No sales tomorrow, maybe I can do a bit of sawdust making?
    Stay tuned..