Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phone Spammers

Phone Spammers

These criminals (they ignore the do not call list and steal from the gullible and make our phones almost useless) are apparently too hard for our government to stop. Given that, I think we are wasting a lot of money on Homeland Security. They are facing more treacherous criminals and all they can tell us is that they are doing a great job but it's all secret. I don't believe it.

Blog Entries
    I use caller ID and and I don't answer calls that I don't know the number. We have 24/7 voice mail so if it is someone that really knows me they can leave a message and I call them back. Robo callers just dial numbers sequentially without regard to rules.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Exactly. If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it, send it to voice mail and if they don't leave a message, it wasn't important anyhow.

We use NoMoRobo and if a call gets through if we do not recognize the number or name it goes to voice mail.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

These guys will ghost your number or someone you know. I received 2 calls last week from people who said I had just called them. There were no outgoing calls to their numbers. They can “trick” caller id.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We use NoMoRobo and if a call gets through if we do not recognize the number or name it goes to voice mail.
    We use NoMoRobo also and it's great. It may not get all the spam calls, but it gets a lot. Highly recommended if you use VOIP.

With NoMoRobo, your phone rings once because the caller ID comes between the first and second ring - so NoMoRobo can't see who is calling until after the first ring. We've just become accustomed to waiting to see if the phone rings twice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Some of the automated or robo-callers are getting more sophisticated to sound like a real person.

It used to get me upset. Now hanging up is good enough for a recording. It would be nice if they knew their target hung up so they wouldn't tie up your line for the whole spiel.

My favorite is when it is a live person. My voice when answering an unknown call is very soft and frail sounding. Hopefully keeping my voice low will get them to turn up their headset. That is when some of the touchtone buttons are pressed. From what they are heard saying after that one might get the impression they do not like it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We receive calls from the phone number that is answering the incoming call, according to caller ID. I think Verizon may be selling your data, as I get calls that are just one digit different from numbers that I regularly call,or receive calls from. At first glance, you think "that's so and so," then answer. Because I have a business, I must answer calls. I just don't answer any between 11:00AM, and 12:30 PM, as this is when the "Your car warranty has expired," calls. If you call back to number shown, it's some smuck who didn't call you, but they spoofed his number.

+1 I never knew how many times my phone rings per day until I retired 4 years ago. There was a device on QVC the other day that I almost bought but it cancels many known robo call numbers and if a new one comes in you can add it to the list. But what I learned more important was the tricks some of these caller use. The frightening one was the ability to get you to say certain words such as if the ask your name or say your name and you say the word yes. Other key words are gotten the longer they hold you on line. Now they take those words and can use them for other unlawul practices including solicitng items for themselves. just a word of caution.
    John T.

I run a small phone company. I set up a system to call these people and either play screaming monkeys to them or call two of them and conference them together. The latter is really hilarious. I have some recordings of a scammer in Pakistan screaming at the other scammer in India, or guys trying to pick up ladies at the other scammer call center. I can post a link, but obviously they contain "bad" language and such, not sure if someone would object. Though you don't have to click and go there if you don't want to hear it.

Blog Entries
    My problem with spammers using the phone numbers of others began when I downloaded a caller ID app from Google Playstore. Found out later the app creates a whole bank full of new numbers to spoof. I get calls daily from numbers from Verizon. One day I called one back and it was a private phone and the guy was upset because I was not the first to call him and complain.
    "I did not call you" he said.
    It's getting worse. Now I'm getting spoof text messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    It's getting worse. Now I'm getting spoof text messages.
    That's because you gave your cell number to a company that sold it off. I get zero SMS spam, but most people get a bit. I never give my cell number to any company. Best Buy wanted me to give it to them so they could notify me when a salesperson was ready for me--right in the store. Uh, no. I get that it can be convenient, so get a Google Voice number or something similar, which at least lets you cut off spammers (and they block a lot).
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-30-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    These criminals (they ignore the do not call list and steal from the gullible and make our phones almost useless) are apparently too hard for our government to stop.
    It surprises me that prominent politicians (that I know about) haven't made a promise to stop robo-calls a prominent part of their campaigns. ( After all, whether something actually can be done or not isn't relevant to a campaign promise.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    It surprises me that prominent politicians (that I know about) haven't made a promise to stop robo-calls a prominent part of their campaigns. ( After all, whether something actually can be done or not isn't relevant to a campaign promise.)
    Maybe it's just too obviously impossible? It really is.

I understand that they set up office outside the USA so the do not call fines can not be enforced. I wonder how us relations are with Nigeria and its multiple dead princes? I believe it's national flag has black in it for all the funerals of rich folks with no wills who are dieing all the time over there.
    Bill D.