Thread: What should I build with this wood?

What should I build with this wood?

While digging through the racks at the local hardwood supplier I found these two curly maple boards in the paint grade maple rack. Ended up paying $40 for the two boards. I found one board and said to myself, that'll make for some nice boxes. Then I found the second board. An almost perfect book match. I cant tell if these two were cut one after another, or if there may have been a board between, but either way, the grain lines up fairly well and now i'd like to use them together in one piece.

The boards have a little more than 7 ft where they reflect each other, and the boards total 23 inches wide, one board being 11 inches and the other 12. They are 13/16" thick. They aren't perfectly flat, so using them as a table top may not be best. I've thought that they may make a nice headboard, and that way the little twist in them could be forced into place in a frame of some sort, but idk.

I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts! Also, if anyone in the DFW area has an interest in them I may be willing to part with them.
    20180318_145536.jpgIMG_20180319_140855_138.jpg20180318_153349.jpgIMG_20180318_154520_961.jpg

That's paint grade? I'd like to see what they consider top shelf.

Do you have any need for a mantle? I did a bookmatched front on one and it's really stunning since it's so visible. Or maybe just some kind of nice chunky shelf where it really shows?

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6005.jpg

Nice find.

Your idea of a headboard is a good one. But you can still make a table top - I have used biscuits to sister boards together that are a little wavy and they worked out. If you find a couple of boards to go on the outside you can have enough width for a Shaker style trestle table. A table top is tied to a frame same as a headboard.

I wouldn't rush to part with them, they are stunning.

you could make a lot of drawer fronts

or nice panels for shoji or cabinets

a drop front desk

I think i like the idea of using it as drawer fronts the best. I'm thinking of a long modern style sideboard/buffet, with 6 or 8 drawers, columns of two so they reflect each other. It would look great with either a walnut or deep mahogany case body.

My idea with the headboard is that i could simply leave the boards untouched. Attach them in grooves in between a two post frame. That way if i decide to make something else I could easily take them out.

You could build a classical guitar out of that lumber.