Thread: More Indexing

More Indexing

Nothing terribly exciting ..... finished my second bowl using the indexing wheel on the lathe... never had an indexing wheel on my old lathe so this is something new to play with... it's a figured maple bowl with Purpleheart and Bloodwood plugs... about 12" by 2.5"... thanks for looking..

Indexing1.jpg Indexing2.jpg

I think you are having fun Barry, it sure is an eye catcher, nicely done
    Have fun and take care

I like it and think it might apeal to a barber as a nod to the practice of bleeding for healing. If there are any kids around let them watch some indexing,great IQ and curiosity builder!

Nice Barry. What did you use for a jig to hold your drill? I have been trying to search the site for jigs for holding a drill or a router for use on the lathe with indexing and am not turning up much. Without highjacking your post, can anyone else comment on this type of jig?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    Nice Barry. What did you use for a jig to hold your drill? I have been trying to search the site for jigs for holding a drill or a router for use on the lathe with indexing and am not turning up much. Without highjacking your post, can anyone else comment on this type of jig?
    Nice job Barry. I also use my indexing on occasion.

Jenny, the Drill Wizzard from Oneway. Craft Supply also sells them. You will need the old style keyed drill as the keyless drill are too large.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks Leo...and Mel...
    Jenny and William.... here is a link to the jig I made.. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....g-for-Indexing I use a keyless drill in it and it works well.....

Just make yourself a Drill guide. Take a block of wood and turn a long tenon to match your banjo. Then drill whatever size holes you need through the side. then it's just a matter of raising and lower it, and rotating it to the angle you want. I make them out of Oak or Maple and I'm surprised by how long they last. MOst of the time it wears out the tenon by damage from the locking screws. If you wanted to do a lot of this I would buy a piece of steel rod the diameter of you banjo and glue that to wood. Here is a photo of one of my drill guides. I have several. One little trick. If you want oval dowels just drill the hole at an angle to the wood. Drive the dowels in. Once you turn them they will appear oval. Great for clock faces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Just make yourself a Drill guide. Take a block of wood and turn a long tenon to match your banjo. Then drill whatever size holes you need through the side. then it's just a matter of raising and lower it, and rotating it to the angle you want. I make them out of Oak or Maple and I'm surprised by how long they last. MOst of the time it wears out the tenon by damage from the locking screws. If you wanted to do a lot of this I would buy a piece of steel rod the diameter of you banjo and glue that to wood. Here is a photo of one of my drill guides. I have several. One little trick. If you want oval dowels just drill the hole at an angle to the wood. Drive the dowels in. Once you turn them they will appear oval. Great for clock faces.
    Isn't that pretty much the same as the link I posted last night??

It depends on what you want to do using a drill. If you only intend to drill one or two sizes holes homemade would work. However I use many different size drill bits. The OneWay it doesn't matter what size bite is used. Smaller diameter bits are shorter and more difficult using a homemade holder unless you have a bushing and long drill bit.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

If you notice I have 3 sizes on my jig. I have another jig in the drawer with another 3 sizes. Don't get me wrong the Oneway system is wonderful, just many many times as expensive as my rig.

Yes it is. Sorry Barry. Was in a hurry and didn't read all the posts.