Thread: Status of Software change?

Status of Software change?

Any word on the move from v_Bulletin to the new forum software?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    It is still coming, Aaron is working on it when he can get time from his real job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thought I would ask again - any news on the schedule for the swap?

I frequent another forum that uses the XenForo software and it is really nice. So I am hoping all is going well for the transition to it here.

Blog Entries
    Keith and Aaron are still working on it. Aaron does most of the set up and he also has a full time job.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, thanks for the update. I certainly understand how one's employment gets the priority!

Aaron changed jobs last fall, he accepted a teaching job at William and Mary that involved a new Masters curriculum which means he had to develop his lesson plans for each class as it progressed. Meanwhile I asked him to do the legwork necessary for us to convert to Xenforo and the software had bug problems, he resolved and forwarded his results to the programming team for consideration which took some time. He now has to install it again to verify all is well then install another test bed so we can see what we need to do to make the change from vBulletin. I haven't pushed this one because I have a huge amount of work to do converting our support forum to Xenforo and make decisions about what we need to do about our Groups feature which Xenforo doesn't support.

Last fall I asked Aaron to develop a series of web pages that we could use for our Hall of Fame project. He started the project hoping to get it done over Christmas break but had to stop due to other obligations. Currently he is getting his home ready to sell, he purchased a new home recently and has only 6 weeks before he closes so lots of work to do to get his family moved and sell his current home.

Its been impossible to get any time in Aaron's schedule since last Summer. I don't know at this point when this will change but I hope that during his Summer break he will be able to complete some of our projects, I guess it depends on how busy he gets settling into his new home. I have my own problems these days trying to find a resolution to the problems we are facing concerning everyone here who is using ad blocking software that is changing our funding resources. If I can't find a funding model that works for SawMill Creek none of the issues above will matter.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-29-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Could we get tapatalk working for mobile users again in the meantime? I’m rarely at a computer, and trying to create a post with pics, or even read a post with pics is impossible with the mobile version.
    Where did I put that?

Rob, the workaround is to switch from "mobile" to full browser so you can handle photos just like on a laptop or desktop computer. The same resource that has to do the forum upgrade would also be the one that would have to figure out what's amiss with Tapatalk and I suspect that the priority is going to be the forum conversion during whatever time Aaron is available.

I know that Keith wants to get things moved forward as soon as possible/practical.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Aaron changed jobs last fall, he accepted a teaching job at William and Mary that involved a new Masters curriculum which means he had to develop his lesson plans for each class as it progressed. Meanwhile I asked him to do the legwork necessary for us to convert to Xenforo and the software had bug problems, he resolved and forwarded his results to the programming team for consideration which took some time. He now has to install it again to verify all is well then install another test bed so we can see what we need to do to make the change from vBulletin. I haven't pushed this one because I have a huge amount of work to do converting our support forum to Xenforo and make decisions about what we need to do about our Groups feature which Xenforo doesn't support.

Last fall I asked Aaron to develop a series of web pages that we could use for our Hall of Fame project. He started the project hoping to get it done over Christmas break but had to stop due to other obligations. Currently he is getting his home ready to sell, he purchased a new home recently and has only 6 weeks before he closes so lots of work to do to get his family moved and sell his current home.

Its been impossible to get any time in Aaron's schedule since last Summer. I don't know at this point when this will change but I hope that during his Summer break he will be able to complete some of our projects, I guess it depends on how busy he gets settling into his new home. I have my own problems these days trying to find a resolution to the problems we are facing concerning everyone here who is using ad blocking software that is changing our funding resources. If I can't find a funding model that works for SawMill Creek none of the issues above will matter.
    That's unfortunate. Though I'm not familiar with any significant bugs with Xenforo 2.0. Maybe it was with the conversion from VBulletin to Xenforo that was giving him problems?

Do you have any budget at all for the development work? I've got some experience with Xenforo and might be able to help implement the necessary changes on a tight budget; but unfortunately at this point I wouldn't be able to completely donate my time. Anyhow, let me know if you'd like to talk through any of this now or in the future.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rob, the workaround is to switch from "mobile" to full browser so you can handle photos just like on a laptop or desktop computer. The same resource that has to do the forum upgrade would also be the one that would have to figure out what's amiss with Tapatalk and I suspect that the priority is going to be the forum conversion during whatever time Aaron is available.

I know that Keith wants to get things moved forward as soon as possible/practical.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Fair enough