Thread: Help with bearings please, vintage craftsman 8 x 48 belt sander

Help with bearings please, vintage craftsman 8 x 48 belt sander

I picked up a vintage craftsman ( canadian Simpson-Sears LTD) model 103-22540. No parts available from sears and no replacement part number for bearings. The existing bearings on the idler pulley shaft say 6200-rs-08. The trouble is, a 6200-rs bearing should be 10mm id x 30 mm od. But the shaft and od of the bearing measures .500”, not .394 (10mm converted to inches). In addition, the od (which is 30 mm) of the bearing has a snap ring groove ground into it.
    any thoughts?

Have you removed the bearing? Wondering if the shaft might be ground down where the bearing mounts, because a bearing with an ID of .5 and OD of 30mm would be rather odd.

As you probably know, the rs tells you it is shielded (against dust) and has a retaining ring.

The designation with the snap ring groove would be a 6200-RSNR. RS for rubber seals and NR for the snap ring groove. The dash 8 in the number means it did come with a .500 inside diameter. That is an unusual bearing. It might no longer be available. Check with Bearing Headquarters, Motion Industries, or any industrial bearing suppliers and see what they can do for you. You can get a 6201-RS-08 but that has a 32 mm OD. Not what your looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Have you removed the bearing? Wondering if the shaft might be ground down where the bearing mounts, because a bearing with an ID of .5 and OD of 30mm would be rather odd.

As you probably know, the rs tells you it is shielded (against dust) and has a retaining ring.
    Both shaft and bearing are .500”

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    The designation with the snap ring groove would be a 6200-RSNR. RS for rubber seals and NR for the snap ring groove. The dash 8 in the number means it did come with a .500 inside diameter. That is an unusual bearing. It might no longer be available. Check with Bearing Headquarters, Motion Industries, or any industrial bearing suppliers and see what they can do for you. You can get a 6201-RS-08 but that has a 32 mm OD. Not what your looking for.
    excellent info, thank you. Worst case is, I buy a 10 mm shaft.

Our standard answer on OWWM.org is
    Call Accurate Bearing at 800-323-6548 and ask for Lynne. She is our go to person for the strange bearings we need. Make sure you have the bearings and a dial caliper with you when you call.
    Chuck

Is the shaft anything special? may be cheaper just to buy some metric shafting and cut to length. Disreagard if it is threaded. tappeded etc.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Our standard answer on OWWM.org is
    Call Accurate Bearing at 800-323-6548 and ask for Lynne. She is our go to person for the strange bearings we need. Make sure you have the bearings and a dial caliper with you when you call.
    Chuck
    super, I will call today

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Is the shaft anything special? may be cheaper just to buy some metric shafting and cut to length. Disreagard if it is threaded. tappeded etc.
    Bil lD.
    Right, as I stated above, this is definitely an option. Although a quick search online doesnt seem to reveal much for 10mm mild steel shaft, everything is heat treated tool steel or case hardened. There will be minimal machining to do to the shaft, nothing I cant accomplish with my bandsaw, belt grinder and file.

Having to go another route here. Upon closer inspection of the pulleys, the idler pulley bearing shoulders are heavily distorted, and the drive pulley is damaged on the OD, and since i cant get replacement pulleys I may have to have some 3” aluminum rod machined to replace these pulleys. Unless anyone knows of some replacements I haven’t found?

More information and photos would help. There are so many pulley's available that unless the pulley is made on the shaft it's hard to imagine what you need not being available. Google Browning or Martin for starters. They are two industry leaders in power transmission products.

12. We stock a few bearings for automotive use i.e. alternators, starters and fan belt pulleys. Measured several bearings as followed. 6001-2rs id .470, od 1.10 in. 6200-2rs id 10mm, od 30mm. 6201rs id .470 od .258 in. These should be available online.