Thread: Wood Drying Question

Wood Drying Question

Hello,
    I was lucky enough to acquire some Koa wood boards on my last trip to Hawaii. These are a mixture of rough sawn 1x and 2x; about 4-6 feet long and 6 inches wide or so. Moisture content in my outdoor shed (Northern Calif) is now about 8% for the 1x and 10-12% for the 2x boards. How should I go about getting them down to 6-8% so I can begin to use them? I could bring them indoors to my shop and let them equilibrate... or should I leave them in the outdoor shed longer?? or perhaps look for a way to get them kiln dried...
    Thanks for the advice-
    Israel (Izzy)

Blog Entries
    I would bring them inside and continue to monitor the moisture content. Outside humidity changes will likely prolong the drying time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

just wondering how you got 4 and 6 foot lengths of boards back to the mainland? I have picked up koa on Maui and had to cut it up to get it in flat rate boxes to mail to myself. I would like to get some longer stock some time and was just wondering how you did it. Thanks Jared

If it is under 70 pounds, you can use the post office, otherwise gather up more and send using a freight forwarder (such as Aloha Freight Forwarders), then have UPS pick it up there and continue the journey. It is not cheap, but it can be done. Best way is to get several folks who want some, then ship through a forwarder then truck freight. It will take a while, but will only be one pint of blood each versus 2.

I used the DHX shipping company. Worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    Hello,
    I was lucky enough to acquire some Koa wood boards on my last trip to Hawaii. These are a mixture of rough sawn 1x and 2x; about 4-6 feet long and 6 inches wide or so. Moisture content in my outdoor shed (Northern Calif) is now about 8% for the 1x and 10-12% for the 2x boards. How should I go about getting them down to 6-8% so I can begin to use them? I could bring them indoors to my shop and let them equilibrate... or should I leave them in the outdoor shed longer?? or perhaps look for a way to get them kiln dried...
    Thanks for the advice-
    Israel (Izzy)
    Ideally sticker them in a hot attic for several weeks. Second choice would be to bring them into a humidity controlled environment.