Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needto add a whisker of clearance between two inset doors

Needto add a whisker of clearance between two inset doors

I have two inset doors that I need to add a whisker of clearance between them. Rails are already cope cut so shortening then is not possible. I want to take a whisker off two of the stiles. I have a stationary disk/belt sander combo but getting a style flat against the moving belt is not likely. I can lay the belt part down horizontally.

I am thinking about laying the belt part down horizontally and hand sanding the edge against the stationary belt. The table saw is another possibility but taking off a whisker is difficult. I have self adhesive sandpaper on a roll and could stick some to the table saw table and hand sand the edge on that.

I am leaning to the self adhesive sandpaper on the table saw table.

Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

A whisker? Hand plane.

John

+1 on hand plane. Make a mark on the back to work towards.

How much is a whisker?

Tablesaw with a fine blade would be my first approach if a jointer and edge sander weren't in the arsenal.

You can bevel the edge of the door too if it's rubbing against the other door Leave the reveal the same, but remove some material off the back edge

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    How much is a whisker?
    Couple thousandths
    George

George, a handplane is such an obvious fix that I suspect we're not getting the entire story. Why not use a plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    George, a handplane is such an obvious fix that I suspect we're not getting the entire story. Why not use a plane?
    The stiles are only 1 1/4" wide with rabbets 7/16" cut for glass so difficult to secure for planning. They were made with the Freud bit set with recoverable bead.
    George

Run it through your joiner

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    The stiles are only 1 1/4" wide with rabbets 7/16" cut for glass so difficult to secure for planning. They were made with the Freud bit set with recoverable bead.
    George, I'm not certain I'm following you - are you concerned that the edge is too narrow to balance the plane? If that's it, can you sandwich the part between two pieces of scrap? If so, that would give you a broader, stable surface to plane. Then put all 3 in your bench vise and plane the 3 of them together until the part is to your desired size.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Couple thousandths

Hard to imagine a couple of thousandths will make any difference, but I'd just use sandpaper by hand for that little. You should be able to put the stiles between your bench dogs. If you don't have a bench with dogs, then put a wooden hand clamp on both ends so that the edge to be worked on is up, clamp the clamps to your bench, and sand away. Use a set of verniers to check your process.

John

All I need is 1/128, .0078, off of two of the stiles will do it. They just barely touch when you swing the doors open.

Thanks for all the help. I used some self adhesive 100 grit sandpaper on thr table saw table.
    George

Blog Entries
    I have jointer, but I would use a hand plane. Jointer's are scary

Set it on your table saw sled, slide it up against the blade, back up and slide it a squinch closer. Hold down firmly so it doesn't move in the sled. Run it thru.

If you need a whisker of clearance now how much will you need as humidity changes. Bring it inside where it is drier and you will gain that clearance you need. Or easier way that is guaranteed to work is send the completed project to me and I will let it dry out in an arid climate. Heck if you ask nice I might send you pictures of it being used in my house. Is your summer humidity average under say 20% like it is here. But it seldom goes into the single digits so it should not split here.
    Bill D.
    Modesto, CA. USA

PS: the official weather station is at the airport and it is within a few hundred feet of a river so it shows a higher then true humidity and lower temperatures in summer.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-25-2018 at 7:53 PM.

I have two inset doors that I need to add a whisker of clearance between them. Rails are already cope cut so shortening then is not possible. I want to take a whisker off two of the stiles. I have a stationary disk/belt sander combo but getting a style flat against the moving belt is not likely. I can lay the belt part down horizontally.

I am thinking about laying the belt part down horizontally and hand sanding the edge against the stationary belt. The table saw is another possibility but taking off a whisker is difficult. I have self adhesive sandpaper on a roll and could stick some to the table saw table and hand sand the edge on that.

I am leaning to the self adhesive sandpaper on the table saw table.

Suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
    Do not sand. Sanding will run the danger of rounding edges. Do not use a table saw. This is too coarseand will likely leave machine marks.

A block plane is small and you likely need one or two shavings along the edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek