Thread: Finishing Bathroom Vanity

Finishing Bathroom Vanity

Hey all -

Looking for some finishing/paint/sealer advice. I’m replacing the vanity in a half bath (powder room?) and have built a new vanity as a simple MDF carcass with a popular face frame and poplar/mdf doors.

The idea is to paint it black, but any tips from those in the know as to the best way to do it? Any particular type of paint better? Should I prime, then paint, then coat with lacquer or something? Am I overthinking this? I’ve never done a bathroom vanity before (there won’t be a lot of humidity and ideally the vanity itself shouldn’t get wet - it has a full counter/sink that will sit on top of it).

Thanks

Use a high quality, 100% acrylic paint, Benjamin Moore Advance (an emulsified alkyd water borne) or an oil-based paint...and yes, it's a good idea to prime first as it not only seals and provides a good surface for the subsequent paint coats and will also help you identify any places that you need to "fix" before you continue with the finishing process. You cannot shoot solvent based lacquer over most, if not all, other finishes. The solvents will do nasty things to the finish already on the piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Since water often hits the floor in a bathroom, be sure to seal the bottom edges of your cabinet to prevent water from getting absorbed into the wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would use BIN pigmented shellac primer first, and then a waterborne paint. The shellac based primer dries very quickly and provides a barrier so the WB paint doesn't swell the MDF, especially the end "grain". BM Advance is great stuff, as Jim recommended. SW's ProClassic is nice, too, and dries a lot faster. Neither is easy to spray unless you have a pressure assisted gun, but great if you do. Both go on with a brush really well, and Advance works well with a foam roller, too.

As Jim said, there's no reason to put anything over top the paint.

John

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So - follow up -

That paint is the thickest paint I’ve ever seen, and I’m having a lot of trouble applying properly. Any hints? I’m using a nylon brush and it looks awful.

I am not a pro at all with painting.

Dave

Are you referring to BM Advance? BM makes a product called Extender. It helps Advance flow out and self level better, especially when applying it by hand. Thinning with water works, too, but Extender is better. Try 5%. A foam roller does a much better job on flat surfaces, so if you have large flat areas that would be a better approach. Finally, use a really good quality brush.

John