Thread: Jointer Knife Angle

Jointer Knife Angle

I have a Grizzly G0656 and I nicked the knives with a screw. Does anyone know the blade angle?
    Thanks

I do not , but some just slide one knife out of alignment to "close the gap"

Jeff,

Mel is correct. You should be able to slide the knife a bit so that the nicks don't line up. To answer your question, do you mean the bevel angle? You should be able to read it off the knives. It's usually 40 deg.

Doug

Both are very good ideas. Doug, yes I meant the bevel angle so I can create a jig to grind the knives down a bit. I think I'll try Mel's idea 1st and see how it works. I'll post after. Thanks guys.

Blog Entries
    I would measure the angle with a bevel gage and transfer it to a flat surface so I could check it with a protractor.

My jointer and planer are very close to 45.
    Dan

You definitely want to measure it, or get the specs. from the manual. I had a planer that the angle was 42°, another that's 45°.

John

For some reason I thought the leading edge of the blade was radial with zero degrees lead angle. The bevel angle would be about 45 degrees.
    Bill D.

But, if you really nicked them, as in a deep chunk, I'd just buy new ones. For $34 you can have a new set of the Freud knives.

Dan

I just slid 3 of the blades a bit, tightened everything back up and planed a piece of southern yellow pine. The finish looks great, the nicks were small so I am going to leave it at that. I did have an issue with one screw on one blade close to the fence starting to strip, so I tightened the other screws on that blade and shifted the other 3. This is going to be an issue when I do change the blades.