Thread: Blu ray Player hook up on older TV.

Blu ray Player hook up on older TV.

Got an older Sony Big Screen TV, that has the little door in the front where you plug in stuff. Currently, I am running a CD Player on it. It has the round plugs . One for Red , Yellow and White. What I am trying to find out, is it possible to run a Blu Ray Player on that older TV. It is close to 20 years old, but still running good. Is there a plug adapter that will work on the round plugs on the TV and whatever shape plug on the Blu Ray Player?

What make and model of Blueray player are you using?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

did not buy a blu ray player yet. Got a Blu Ray Disk of a Family member's Wedding. They did all the discs up in Blu Ray format. When I got it, I realized that a Blu Ray Disk will not play in a DVD Player.

This is untested, but most Blue Ray players will output to HDMI cable. This seems to be what you're looking for, possibly: https://www.staples.com/Insten-6-AV-...product_971779

IIRC- what you are describing in called "composite" video. It's resolution is well below what Blu-Ray gives you. I would think you should be able to get a Blu-Ray player with composite outputs, but in a quick try Amazon's search isn't cooperating. I did find a converter:

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-Vid...dp/B071F3H93P/

that should convert any Blu-Ray's output to composite.

BTW- It seems like there should be other input types on your TV. You should check to see if you have other, higher resolution, options before you get too far.

On a TV 20 yrs old he probably does not have HDMI. Likely only composite video and 75 ohm inputs.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    On a TV 20 yrs old he probably does not have HDMI. Likely only composite video and 75 ohm inputs.
    I agree no HDMI, that's why I pointed to a converter. OTOH- if it is only 20 years old he likely has S-Video and/or component video. Both of which would show more of the Blu-Ray's potential quality. (And be more likely to be supported directly by the player, though most seem to assume HDMI.)

Video Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I agree no HDMI, that's why I pointed to a converter. OTOH- if it is only 20 years old he likely has S-Video and/or component video. Both of which would show more of the Blu-Ray's potential quality. (And be more likely to be supported directly by the player, though most seem to assume HDMI.)

Video Connectors
    Forgot about S-Video
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Clarence
    A quick internet search indicates that there are Blue ray players with composite video out jacks. There are also HDMI to composite video out adapters available.
    S Video may require an external sync adapter

Here is the first Blue Ray player I found with "native" Composite video out. Red/White/Yellow jacks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S370.../dp/B0036WS4CA
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-25-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    This is untested, but most Blue Ray players will output to HDMI cable. This seems to be what you're looking for, possibly: https://www.staples.com/Insten-6-AV-...product_971779
    The one end of that cable is proprietary to Xbox only. It's not HDMI.

Clarence, post up a photo of the BACK of your TV. I would bet there are better options than the composite video jack (the yellow input on the front--the red and white are for audio).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Clarence, with no disrespect intended... I cannot speak to your financial situation, but maybe you might treat yourself to a new TV when you buy the new Blu ray player. There is lots to like about the newer technology associated with the newer TVs.

Clarence, look at the back of the TV and see what inputs are there. Better yet, what is the model #?
    Our Sony is almost 20 years old, (flat screen CRT, 200lb monster) and has more inputs than I've ever used.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

They make HDMI to composite converters, but as people have said, why bother? You can go buy a new modern TV for a couple of hundred dollars that will look ten times better than what you have.

But if you insist, this is what you need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8P11LC..._t3_B00J22LGYG