Thread: 5" dust collection part

5" dust collection part

I am looking to change out my 4" flex hose on my dust collector to a 5" hose so I can pull more CFM through my sander. The problem I am running into is there does not seem to be very many fitting available for 5" duct work. Do anyone have a recommendation where to get 5" fittings at? What I am wanting to do is put a "Y" fitting attached to my dust deputy then have blast gates on each side. One side I want to run a 5" line and the other side a 4" line. On the 5" side I need to upgrade the port on my sander from a 4" port to a 5" port. I can not seem to find any quick connect fitting for end of the 5" hose or a 5" port to replace on the sander. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Also, if any has some pictures of something similar they have done can you share them with me. Ultimately I would like to replace my dust collector and run duct work in the shop to all my machines, but that is a little more $$ than I can invest right now. I posed a few pictures of my dust collector and shop in case anyone has some better ideas.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0015.jpg

Check with Grizzly. I've seem some 5" duct there.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Another option that I just thought of would be to add a "y" that slips into two 4" hoses from the dust collector and run hoses to the sander. Do you think that would be better than one 5" port?

Jeremy,

Here are a few sources for some of what you are looking for:

Blast gates and hose are available here 5" Aluminum ~$12 http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Alum...last-Gates.php
    Wyes here ~$13 http://www.simplyplumbing.com/27013-smoke-flue-wye.html (these are actually longer than pictured ~24")
    and here ~$20 http://thesheetmetalkid.com/wye-bran...duct-fittings/
    or
    https://www.kencraftcompany.com/prod...et-metal-wyes/

Ducting: 5 pack of 26 gauge

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRE...ock-Pipe-6PGC8
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

5" DC fittings are readily available from Oneida, Air Handling Systems, Kencraft, Grizzly and others. You can also get certain items via Amazon, such as blast gates and flex hose. Local HVAC can provide 26 gage snap lock, often in 5' lengths, and in some cases the Orange 'Borg also carries 26 gage snap lock in 24" sections. (some places refer to this as "stove pipe")
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking at your dust collector set-up, I have doubt if it is capable of handling a 5" let alone two 4" hoses. Drum Sanders are difficult for dust collectors and filters get clogged easily.

In my limited experience all the 5" pvc I see is gray electrical conduit. Both the fittings and the pipe. They do use some nice conduit bends in the larger sizes.
    Bil lD.

Another option you have to improve the dust collection on your sander is to order one of the new style drum lids from Supermax that come with 2 4" dust ports.

I thought about modifying my lid to add two ports. I did not think about trying to buy the new style. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Jeremy Killingbeck; 03-25-2018 at 8:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Killingbeck View Post
    I thought about modifying my kid to add two ports.
    Does the kid know yet?

Where can I find the lid with two 4" ports for the supermax Sanders?

I am looking into getting a supermax Sander soon and the dual ports would be a great selling point.

I sent Supermax a email and ask them if they sell the lids only. If the do not, or it is not a reasonable price I will probably just modify my lid and add 2 ports on the sides and plug the middle one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Where can I find the lid with two 4" ports for the supermax Sanders?

I am looking into getting a supermax Sander soon and the dual ports would be a great selling point.
    I called the Minneapolis headquarters for them and ordered a the lid along with a couple other misc parts from them and they were great to deal with. The lid will be one of the new black ones but it fits perfect. My sander looks just like the one in Jeremy's picture in the first post if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stueve View Post
    I called the Minneapolis headquarters for them and ordered a the lid along with a couple other misc parts from them and they were great to deal with. The lid will be one of the new black ones but it fits perfect. My sander looks just like the one in Jeremy's picture in the first post if that helps.

How much did the new lid end up costing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Killingbeck View Post
    How much did the new lid end up costing?
    If I remember correctly the lid was $170ish. I got a smoking deal on my 25X2 a few months ago and had planned to modify the existing lid. But once I started looking it over better at home it was tweaked slightly so I figured by the time I jacked with it I would save myself the frustration and time by just buying a new one. Plus the new one is all shiny so you can fool your friends into thinking you got a new tool!