Thread: Flexcut RG or SK? or Foredom?

Question Flexcut RG or SK? or Foredom?

I don't have the strength or the budget for conventional carving chisels and my hobby centers around lettering signs and decorative embellishment of same. Ive called around but still can't determine if ALL flexcut series RG are the narrow shank or are they mixed. I've tentatively, decided that RG series are the narrow tang and SK series the wider tang for the automach. I need the narrow tang for my Wecheer handpiece but I'm afraid to order because I don't want the hassle of returning them if they aren't right. This reciprocating carving is right up my alley because I can carve hardwoods and am not limited to Basswood and Aspen which are hard to get locally.

I know I could get the Flexcut Adapter but I'm a bit nervous of that also. It looks like the tang is only a friction fit in the adapter and could soon work itself out of the adapter, and I'm also concerned about the extra length and the stress that would put on the whole setup.

Does anyone have any experience with the flexcut power gouges or the Foredom brand?

Thanks,
    Paul

I believe you are correct. The SK series have a wider tang (typically used in hand carving but can be used in reciprocating hand-pieces/tools) and the RG series all have the narrow shank. Depending on which one you have (SK or RG) and which power tool/hand piece you have, an adapter may be required. This link shows several brands and which tip fits directly or requires an adapter. In your case, the RG will fit the Wecheer and will require the adapter to use the SK.

https://www.flexcut.com/customer-ser...ference-chart/

Hope this help.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I also have noticed one other difference: The SK series have a hole in the tang. That would enable one to tell the difference if a picture is shown.

Does anyone have any experience with the adapter?

Very limited experience but I didn't like it that the chisels were farther away from the hand piece. I suppose you could get used to it but it seemed awkward for me.

The WeCheer brand also has their brand of reciprocal carver. Not sure on how or if any of the blades are compatible with one or any of the others.

Thanks Marvin.
    "I didn't like it that the chisels were farther away from the hand piece"
    That's what I was thinking also.

The wecheer brand is the one I have. The chisels that come with it or pretty bad. I am building up a collection of Flexcut brand chisels. I have a 9 piece set of the handled palm chisels and have not bought any of the traditional mallet style chisels at all. I love the fact that Flexcut chisels come ready to carve with no honing or sharpening required. When they get dull I just touch them on my Worksharp leather wheel and continue to carve.