Thread: Retrofitting Another Metal Cabinet

Blog Entries

Retrofitting Another Metal Cabinet

This one is 24" deep and while it have lots of volume, things seem to go into another dimension in cabinets that deep.

Storage-brn-cab-redo (2).jpg

I emptied one of the shelves and came up with way more stuff than should be stored in such a space. Obviously I found a lot of things that had gone "missing" in the belly of the beast as well.

Storage-brn-cab-redo (3).jpg

I have some ply from an old bed frame that was gifted me for the material I could strip off of it. That and some BB ply, some drawer-lock joints . . .

Storage-brn-cab-redo (6).jpg

. . . and a little time gets me some of these.

Storage-brn-cab-redo (10).jpg

And you can see where I am headed with this . . .

glennbradley_rotate.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-24-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Rotated last photo
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Excellent idea ! How are you attaching the drawer slides to the cabinet ?

Cheers,
    John

Glenn, I rotated the photo. I copied it to my computer, rotated it in Photoshop, inserted the edited photo and deleted the original from the message. I didn't remove the other one completely so it shows up as the attached thumbnail. I can remove the attached thumbnail if you want.

I like your cabinet modification. Your thread reminded me of one I modified a few years ago. I had a short steel roll-around cabinet, really a cart, with open shelves and three wide, shallow drawers. I think I must have bought it a Northern Tool, can't remember. I set a piece of plywood on the top to use as a work surface between two lathes in my shop. After a couple of years I took off the wheels and built a wood frame around it, extended the length, and fastened a laminated maple top and mounted a bench vise on the end. Building the bench around the cabinet made it easy to keep everything square. It makes a great workbench. I use the three built-in drawers for calipers, compasses, and small lathe tools. After seeing your cabinet I want to put some drawers where the two open shelves are.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Patric View Post
    Excellent idea ! How are you attaching the drawer slides to the cabinet ?

Cheers,
    John
    I framed it out with 2x4's milled to the thickness I required. This frame work is attached to the sides with construction adhesive and a few screws in key locations (screws may be belt and suspenders but, I'm making this up as I go). If I did it again I would use strips to space plywood from the sides as it would be more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Glenn, I rotated the photo. I copied it to my computer, rotated it in Photoshop, inserted the edited photo and deleted the original from the message. I didn't remove the other one completely so it shows up as the attached thumbnail. I can remove the attached thumbnail if you want.

I like your cabinet modification. Your thread reminded me of one I modified a few years ago. I had a short steel roll-around cabinet, really a cart, with open shelves and three wide, shallow drawers. I think I must have bought it a Northern Tool, can't remember. I set a piece of plywood on the top to use as a work surface between two lathes in my shop. After a couple of years I took off the wheels and built a wood frame around it, extended the length, and fastened a laminated maple top and mounted a bench vise on the end. Building the bench around the cabinet made it easy to keep everything square. It makes a great workbench. I use the three built-in drawers for calipers, compasses, and small lathe tools. After seeing your cabinet I want to put some drawers where the two open shelves are.

JKJ
    Thanks for the fix John. It sounds like your version will just keep getting better.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-24-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's a really excellent example of adapting the cabinet to better serve your needs!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...