Thread: Treadle lathe

Treadle lathe

I've decided to make a treadle lathe. So far I have glued up and shaped the 24 inch flywheel. I wanted this to be done by hand so I cut and cut and cut some more with a hand saw. I finally felt confident enough to saw true and square. It took me a while to not go crooked or cut at an angle.

As you can probably tell, I have very little experience and would like some advice. The headstock is a part I want to do right the first time. I would like to be to be able to have options other than a piece of rolled steel sharpened to a point. What do you guys recommend? Im not sure if I'm getting terminology right when I try to search. What shaft/rod pieces would be best for my application? I was on Bob Easton's site and I saw that he could use an adapter but what is the part he screws it to and where can I get one?

Thanks

I've got a pretty good headstock even if I do say so myself. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Let me see if I have this right. I can get some 5/8 rolled steel, get a thrust bearing, two radial bearings, two stop collars, and buy a shopsmith drive spur and I'm good. Drive spur just slips on?

Blog Entries
    I am interested in this post but I am not sure what we are discussing? Pictures always seem to help.