Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: double sided tape for templates

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This stuff works great for me. Note the 1 star reviews seem silly - like there’s residue left behind after a couple years (Clean it up with goo gone dummy!) or its hard to get the backing off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...R0L&ref=plSrch
    This is what I use as well. I got mine at the local green BORG. It works so well I usually cut it into small squares to dot the pieces together. The fiberglass reinforcing makes it a little thicker but that thickness then wors better if you have any tiny gaps between template and workpiece.

Clint

Since I end up tossing more due to it losing it's stick from being opened too long, I just stick with (groan..ok,,terrible pun) Borg carpet tape.

Actually - I should mention also that for a lot of wood stuff, I use Elmer's School glue and paper. (copy paper or newspaper)
    Glue a piece of paper between two pieces of wood with School Glue & when you're done, separate them with a single edge razor blade or utility knife & wash the paper/glue off with water.

It's extremely strong and the paper is thin enough to not matter.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 03-24-2018 at 6:27 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I came across Scotch double-sided tape about a ear-ago ... handier then any peel-back that I had used in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    I came across Scotch double-sided tape about a ear-ago ... handier then any peel-back that I had used in the past.
    Most office supply places, and some Walmarts stock this.

I use carpet tape for routing patters, but make sure you release it as soon as you're done

The ds Scotch tape is not strong enough for pattern routing.

The Fast Cap tape is also excellent and releases a bit easier than the carpet tape.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Lee, is the 3M tape very thin?

I've been using this clear, thin Fastcap tape with acrylic adhesive.
    https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T2003.../dp/B006SJIA0Y

It sticks well and I can get things apart and remove the tape. They claim the bond gets stronger with time so it might be harder to remove if left together for a long time but I haven't tried that. I use it for things like sticking things to the bandsaw table.

JKJ
    Thanks, I book marked that link. YES, the bond does get stronger with extended time. DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-24-2018 at 8:20 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Yeah, the Duck brand tape generally sticks pretty tenaciously. Don't use Goo Gone to clean up afterwards, however - it leaves an oily residue. VM&P Naptha does the job and evaprates cleanly.
    Good point! I was referencing that for the people who actually use the tape as carpet tape. So goo gone on hardwood or tile floors. It does have a residue but is easily cleaned up off a floor.

I have had only middling luck with carpet tape. Workpieces tend to slip sidewise for me - shear strength is not great. Most recently using blue tape/superglue with better results.

For smaller projects I've been using Rockler Double Sided Dots. Easy to apply and remove and hold well.
    https://www.rockler.com/rockler-2-sided-stick-it-dots