Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double sided tape for templates

Blog Entries

double sided tape for templates

Hola,

What type of double sided tape do you use for sticking a router template onto the bottom of your piece? Any brand in particular? Are they all sufficient?

cheers,

I just use the heavy duty carpet tape. The key is to press on it firmly for 30 seconds. All of the double sided tapes are pressure sensitive, so the pressure really makes a difference on their holding power.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    you da man, thanks.

Hi,
    I used double sided carpet tape for years and then got a roll of Intertape 591. It was at that point that I tasted my first Ritz cracker and realized I had been eating Saltines. I typically use the 3/4" width.
    It holds very firmly and will not leave behind any residue like carpet tape will. Keep a utility knife handy for grabbing and peeling back the crepe backing. This product and hot melt glue became game changers for me in the shop for jigs, templates, temporary fences, dozens of uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Intertape-Dou...0178G341A?th=1

Edwin

I use the kind that Hartville Hardware store sells. I buy from the store itself because I am close enough to drive there. I am not sure if the internet sales from HH provides the same brand. The tape does stick very well.

I use both carpet tape and the miscellaneous 3m double sided foam tape sold at BORG...

For best results - don't be greedy with the tape... A bit more with no movement is better than a bit less and it shifts in the middle of the job...

One trick if you are worried about getting the double sided tape back off... Especially with carpet tape...

Apply a layer of 2" wide painter's tape to your template and to your work.
    Stick the double sided tape to that stuff... Apply firm pressure and stick it together... It will hold well... Do not skimp on the tape.. When you are ready to detach - it will come apart without damaging your work or template....

I have successfully used carpet tape in the past. Just last week while in Spokane, I bought a roll of "turner's tape". Expensive stuff! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 03-23-2018 at 7:23 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    One trick if you are worried about getting the double sided tape back off... Especially with carpet tape...

Apply a layer of 2" wide painter's tape to your template and to your work.
    Stick the double sided tape to that stuff... Apply firm pressure and stick it together... It will hold well... Do not skimp on the tape.. When you are ready to detach - it will come apart without damaging your work or template....
    An alternative method that's become popular with CNC operators for small work holding is using painter's tape and CA glue. Apply the tape to both the object to be held and the surface it's to be stuck to. Spread a little CA on the tape on once side and spritz the other with accelerator. Press together immediately and hold for a few moments. It works well and the painters tape releases easily. The one downside is this method is "thicker"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This stuff works great for me. Note the 1 star reviews seem silly - like there’s residue left behind after a couple years (Clean it up with goo gone dummy!) or its hard to get the backing off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...R0L&ref=plSrch

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have successfully used carpet tape in the past. Just last week while in Spokane, I bought a roll of "turner's tape". Expensive stuff! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
    The turner's tape might stick too well for templates. It can easily hold a 15" bowl blank on a faceplate for turning.

Blog Entries
    I used to use a 3M double sided tape with an acrylic adhesive and a transparent liner. The tape had a white peel off backing. It was super sticky so you only needed a small amount,but it would peel off using the liner without leaving any residue. I ran out last year and have not been able to locate the same type of tape. The stuff I have now is like double sided masking tape and it doesn't stick that well.

I don't like carpet tapes because they don't peel off well I would love to find the 3M tape again.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I’ve been using the double face tape available at MLCS. I like it better than carpet tape, which I find hard to remove and not as firm as I would like. The MLCS tape has just the right amount of stick to firmly hold the template without leaving residue behind and a paper core that seems to prevent template movement.

Been using turners tape and get it at Woodcraft or Peachtree. It works very well and easier to come off than carpet tape. I use the outdoor carpet tape when I positively want no peeling or movement. Deal with the peel off later. better more than not enough holding power.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    This stuff works great for me. Note the 1 star reviews seem silly - like there’s residue left behind after a couple years (Clean it up with goo gone dummy!) or its hard to get the backing off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B...R0L&ref=plSrch
    Yeah, the Duck brand tape generally sticks pretty tenaciously. Don't use Goo Gone to clean up afterwards, however - it leaves an oily residue. VM&P Naptha does the job and evaprates cleanly.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I used to use a 3M double sided tape with an acrylic adhesive and a transparent liner. The tape had a white peel off backing. ... I would love to find the 3M tape again.
    Lee, is the 3M tape very thin?

I've been using this clear, thin Fastcap tape with acrylic adhesive.
    https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T2003.../dp/B006SJIA0Y

It sticks well and I can get things apart and remove the tape. They claim the bond gets stronger with time so it might be harder to remove if left together for a long time but I haven't tried that. I use it for things like sticking things to the bandsaw table.

JKJ