Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small bandsaw recommendations

Small bandsaw recommendations

I have an 18" Jet bandsaw that I use constantly and wouldn't want to be without, but I've been thinking of getting a small bandsaw (9 or 10", maybe) that I could use just for curved cuts. I build musical instruments, mainly banjos and fiddles, and I am often shifting back and forth between ripping/resawing kinds of work and cutting curves with a 1" radius or so. Changing blades that often would not be practical so I keep a 1/2" blade in the Jet at all times and just cut a wider kerf on tight curves, but it would be much nicer to have a small saw with a 1/4" or smaller blade to do those curved cuts more neatly. I use the scroll saw for some things now but it's very limited in what it can do.

My first bandsaw was a 3 wheel 10" Delta that threw the blade frequently because the plastic drive wheel had a major wobble. I got that at the dump in the "shop and drop" area for $3 when I was 14 or so, and had it for several years but could never get it to be dependable. Then I had a 10" 2 wheel Montgomery Ward bandsaw that I got for $5 at an auction without a motor, I did get it running but the table support was wonky and it had a lot of vibration that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Both of those saws have been long since sold for what they'd fetch, and I'm hoping I can find something good that I can keep and use long term.

I am open to old or new, if anyone can advise me what models to seek out or avoid. I'd want 3" depth of cut for cutting out pegheads on a sled, and the ability to cut through at least 2-1/4" of moderately dense hardwoods, maple, walnut, cherry etc without stalling the motor. I've been looking at the new Grizzly 9" saw, and at some recent Craftsman models. I wouldn't need a rip fence or miter gauge, anything like that would be done on the big saw. I'll be very grateful for any advice.
    Zach

I would not waste time with the very small toy bandsaws. Besides my 20" Agazzani I have a 14" Delta that is an excellent machine. I keep the Agazzani setup with a 1" carbide blade, for resawing, and the Delta setup with a narrow blade, for curves.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I am not particularly experienced with bench top models and dont know what your budget is, but it might be worth looking at a used 14" machine for what you are talking about. It is a pretty big hp drop down to the smaller ones and I have always heard they are harder to get and keep tuned.

One of these days I am going to get an 18 or 20 for resawing and use my go555 exactly how you describe.

Thank you all, I have an old 14" Rockwell that predated the Jet, I could bring that back in and use it if I make room. My idea was to have a benchtop saw that I could easily move around, but if they're not handy then it would be better to make room for the big one.
    Zach

I had a 10" Rikon which was a nice small saw, but not enough power to cut thick hardwood like you're talking about. I'd say go for a 14" Delta clone or Rikon.

My friend has the 9" Grizzly and it's very well made for what it is. It would be an ideal jobsite saw for me, but I'm not sure it would meet your needs for cutting 3" stock. If that's going to be a normal activity I'd go with a used 14" Delta/clone, as others have recommended.

John

This question comes up often with the Rikon 10" getting high marks. I'm happy with mine as secondary to my MiniMax.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For my small bandsaw, I splurged, and bought a 10". Craftsman and Rikon come out of the same factory with different colored doors. My Craftsman was $165, with free pickup at a store. It's a surprisingly decent little saw just like it comes out of the box. It probably gets used more often, for quick jobs, than the old Delta 14", or the 24" Centauro.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-23-2018 at 4:40 PM.

Tom, are you sure it's a 12"?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That Craftsman saw looks decent, but be careful, Sears also sells a cheaper 10" saw that looks similar.

Our local Ace hardware had one the last time I was in there, but I'm not finding the 21400 for sale anywhere on the internet now. I bought it to use up on a roof a couple of years ago, but it's been used a lot since then.

Blog Entries
    I've had the 10" Craftsman for several years and am very happy with it.
    Dennis

14. Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I had a 10" Rikon which was a nice small saw, but not enough power to cut thick hardwood like you're talking about.
    I am surprised to read that, I have 9" Ryobi that is less saw than the Rikon and it works great for my use which sounds exactly like what Zachary proposes.

I use my saws in a similar manner, but build mostly mountain dulcimers. When I got a bigger saw, I kept my old 9" Ryobi and wound up using it more frequently than the bigger saw. I did some tweaks and built a sled, fence, and a bunch of special purpose jigs and now find it very serviceable.

I'd ideally like to have a 10" Rikon, but after much effort over a few years I have the Ryobi set up how I like it, so I am not swapping it out any time soon. The Rikon has metal parts in places where the cheaper saws like my Ryobi have plastic. It also is 10" rather than 9" and is generally a much better saw.

Bottom line? I think the Rikon would serve you very well and you could probably even get by with a lesser saw like the Ryobi or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Thank you all, I have an old 14" Rockwell that predated the Jet, I could bring that back in and use it if I make room. My idea was to have a benchtop saw that I could easily move around, but if they're not handy then it would be better to make room for the big one.
    Zach
    I'd make room for the 14" since you already have it!