Thread: Jet Parts!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Jet Parts!

After months of rattling and creaking, my Jet 14-42 motor pulley assembly (parts 1442-159 and 160) finally succumbed to fatigue yesterday, and I'm wondering if anyone has a source for the replacements. Jet has kept me waiting for three months and now they're pushing delivery back another month or more.

Are there any warehouses in your area that might stock them?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

It looks like ereplacementparts.com has 5 of the 1442-159 in stock. They say the 1442-160 is no longer available. If you can't locate one, you might think about going with a 3-phase motor and VFD for electronic speed control.

Larry

Thanks for the note, Larry. I'm still holding out hope that there's an independent repair service somewhere who had the foresight to stock up on these parts. Realistically, the pair of two-part pulley assemblies are the only thing that can wear out on the Jet 14-42 lathe. Perhaps something will turn up soon.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Thanks for the note, Larry. I'm still holding out hope that there's an independent repair service somewhere who had the foresight to stock up on these parts. Realistically, the pair of two-part pulley assemblies are the only thing that can wear out on the Jet 14-42 lathe. Perhaps something will turn up soon.
    I've seen used 1442 lathes for sale for $500. I wondered if it would be worth buying another one for parts but if as you say the pulley assembly is what wears out you might just be buying another person's problem.

Is what failed on your lathe repairable, perhaps with a bit of welding and machining? If not and no parts can be found, maybe it's time to get away from the reeves drive. You might really like a 1642 with the electronic speed control. I don't know what a used one goes for now but a few years ago I bought a spare for $1600. Seems like I've seen them offered for $1200. I use a larger lathe now but I consider the 1642 is a very capable lathe - I keep one set up in the shop all the time as a second lathe.

JKJ

Is it the Reeves drive pulleys that have failed?
    The Harbour freight [ don't know the stock #] is a clone of that lathe I think. Just wondering if you could retro fit parts from that one to yours??

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Is it the Reeves drive pulleys that have failed?
    The Harbour freight [ don't know the stock #] is a clone of that lathe I think. Just wondering if you could retro fit parts from that one to yours??
    I believe that is different lathes, the Jet 1236 and the Harbor Freight 34706 parts are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I believe that is different lathes, the Jet 1236 and the Harbor Freight 34706 parts are interchangeable.
    Well darn, was hoping it was the same for an easy fix.

Grainger is a good source for motors and pulleys, as it's rare for someone to make one specific to just their tool. Have you inspected closely for any non-Jet markings on it?

Some folks were mentioning Grizzly pulley sets would fit both Jet and Delta 14" lathes IIRC.

Fixing the pot metal pulleys is not worth an effort...

Do you have photos and dimensions?

Yup. The spring-loaded, two-part "lower" side that fits onto the motor shaft. I can't find any mention anywhere that Grizzly pulleys would fit my Jet 14-42. It would be great if they did.

Russell Neyman