Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Essential Incra Rules

I just realized I have two of the Incra T-rules. They almost never make it out of the drawer. If I need to mark a parallel line I might grab it instead of an old fashioned adjustable square, but I find I rarely need to do that for the work I do. There’s nothing wrong with them, and they do what they’re supposed to, but I just don’t seem to have that need very often.

That hook rule mentioned above might make it on my wish list though.

I also find the Incra rules to be of extreme value. Other than the corner rule. That one pretty much never comes out. I actually use the tiny T-rule the most. I have the T and the straight rules in both metric and SAE. My biggest beef with them is that they don’t offer a Tiny T-rule in metric. ��

i also have the Lee Valley set that Jim showed as well as a whole complement of Woodpecker offerings. It seems like each one has a particular area in which it works best, (Woodpeckers for rigidity, Incra for precise placement of marks, etc.) I tend to use them all, grabbing the one that works best for the task.

I don’t think much of their .5mm pencil either and will usually only grab it if I can’t find one of the others located throughout the shop.

Clint

I have a 12 inch t ruler. I got along years without any of these but when I got a track saw, I decided I needed a more accurate way to put a mark on a piece of wood. My normal way to use my table saw or CMS is to set the fence or stop with a steel ruler, not mark the wood. I find that to be more accurate for me. I made a track positioning gauge I like for the track saw but sometimes it is just easier to cut to a mark, which the track saw does very well. I found my marks were the source of error, not the tool. So I improved my marking capability - for relatively short distance marks. I agree about the leads (I bought a pack of cheap BIC pencils with 0.5mm lead) and the holes being a bit challenging to locate. But it does what it does very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Understand Jim. I plan to order one of the 36" rules from that set you flagged!
    You will like it...I use the 36" one quite a bit, actually. And they are thicker than the hook type you have now. Having multiple lengths has been very useful to me so I can use a rule that's as long as possible without being bigger than the workpiece. Too long can be inconvenient when it's an inside measurement of some sort and too short is, well...too short.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My most-used ruler is the Incra 12-inch centering ruler. Nothing beats it for marking joinery.

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    My most-used ruler is the Incra 12-inch centering ruler. Nothing beats it for marking joinery.

TedP
    This is my experience as well. I only have the 12 inch, and I wouldn't be without it. That and a story stick really helped the quality of my work.

I'm very intrigued with the Incra Rules. I have two, the 6" T Rule and the Tiny-T, I don't use them much, actually mine are really brand new, and I've had them for a couple years. I always fall back on my Starrett combination squares or a nice heavy Starrett or Lufkin machinist rule. For woodworking they are very precise.

I own and use the metal rulers from LV. Love them and they are great quality without busting the wallet.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Jim,

how would these work as a straight edge? I’d be interested in the 36 inch version to help with longer measurements but it would be nice and economical if it would also be a suitable straight edge for checking for flatness on wider and longer boards (the longest straight edge I have is the Veritas winding sticks at 18”).

Brian, these rules are sturdy, but thin. They might work for incidental flatness checking on edge, but they are not designed for that nor are they likely as precise as one of those uber-expensive "ground and guaranteed to be flat" bars that are specifically for that purpose.
    --

Most important is different from most used. My most important one is the the wide one with pencil holes all over it and a guide. When I want some absolutely perfect lines on something, there is no other good option. I don't need it often, but it does something important when I do. The others are used more often for everyday measuring, but I could also get away with a less-perfect ruler and being more careful.

I lust for their $50 protractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Understand Jim. I plan to order one of the 36" rules from that set you flagged!
    I tried to order the 36" back in January but was told that it wasn't available. I substituted the 40" model, with no regrets. It looks like that ruler listing is still messed up. The 40" ruler has no "add to cart" button.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Brett, all sizes show available as of about 15 seconds ago excepting the 40" version. (which was wasn't even aware of and doesn't appear to be available any longer) The whole set for $32 is a really good value, IMHO. These are nicely made rules.
    --

Having inset graduations that you can feel is the most important thing in a rule for me and the Incra fills the same requirement and more. I use them for the conventional reason that others do, they give an absolute repeatable mark with no guess work. The other reason is that setting a pair of dividers is easy as they lock into the marks as with a proper machinist's rule which is why the marks are inset in the first place. I have two Incra T rules and never use the 300mm version on a regular basis but the 150mm version all the time. I also have a flat straight rule given to me and I don't think I have ever used that.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

This thread is like putting a pile of cocaine in front of an addict. Here I go to incra.com and Amazon...