Thread: steady rest

steady rest

im looking for a steady rest,,i know you can build them and im sure I could but at the moment I would rather just buy one,,I have a jet 16-42 lathe and actually I have a large one but looking for something smaller for goblets and small vases,,does anyone know of someone on here that makes a good one,,,or can anyone recommend a good one to purchase,,,,

Take a look at the Carter Products Multi Rest . This is a great piece of equipment. It might be the only steady rest that you can take apart with 2 screws and have a bowl steady. It comes in two sizes. I love both of mine

http://www.carterproducts.com/turnin...e-riser-blocks

Yea Carter steady rests is the way to go. However I turned a lot of goblets and vases without ever using a steady rest. Most of it is tool control and using the proper cutting sequence. I turn my goblets leaving the stem thick until I have almost completely turned the goblet. I have all but the very bottom of the goblet turned and the inside completely hollowed before I turn the bottom of the goblet and start on the stem. For Vases it's just a matter of turning most of the outside leaving it thick at the bottom. Then hollow the inside a little at a time. Most of the time on Vases where the grain runs parallel to the bed of the lathe you hollow from the center out. I find that if you drill out the center first and then cut by pulling the gouge out from the center at about 45 degrees it reduces the chatter dramatically from cutting straight across. Same with hollowing a goblet.

I have the Carter Multirest and am well pleased with it. It is very well made and easy to use. They have occasional specials so if you're not in a hurry get on their mailing list. Craft Supplies honored the special when I bought mine a couple of year ago.

For a heavy duty rest check out the ones from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. I've been using one for yrs and highly recommend them. There is a number of differences between there's and others on the market which I feel make it much better than others. If you have any questions about them or would like the differences explained to you just give Steve Sinner a call & he
    ll be glad to tell you about them. His ph # is on his web site. http://www.advancedlathetools.com/

I had one and then two. Oneway steady rests. The first worked for many/most big urn shapes and then a problem wood convinced me to buyanother. One from the front and back. Only cost 125$ each and with 2 I can hollow out 20" vases. These are very heavy steel rests.
    Last edited by robert baccus; 03-23-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Another source is https://www.theokspindoctor.com/ for a steady rest. I ordered one and should receive it soon. Not cheap but looks to be a quality product. You can customize the number of supports for additional support.

8. I had Jeff Nichols build me one a few years ago...he doesn’t make them any longer. I had to modify it for my G0766 lathe by raising up the base. It has a 19” ring, but works fine for what I want it for. My new G0800 has wider gap on the bed and 24” swing, so I think I will make one out of wood for it. I actually purchased two sets of inline skate wheels back a few years ago, and made one steady rest for my former G0698 18/47 lathe. And gave that steady to a friend to use with his Jet 1642 evs.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!