Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trip finds, and a tool id question..

Road trip finds, and a tool id question..

Road trip today, stopped at a little place in Brandt, OH...picked a pair of chisels ..for $5 total
    IMG_3701 (640x480).jpg
    Longer one is 3/4"..shorter one is 1" wide...But, there was a couple things I like about the short chisel
    IMG_3702 (480x640).jpg
    Although both seem to be firmer chisels, the 1" wide one has a "cranked neck" and has an etch on the socket.

MFD By UNION Hardware Company, Torrington , CONN, USA

The longer one's back is flat, the top of the chisel is tapered. Looks like I'll need a couple handles..
    IMG_3703 (480x640).jpg
    Will have to get rid of that mushroom, and the wooden plug....no biggie..

Tool ID:
    IMG_3705 (640x480).jpg
    I have had this 8" pair of dividers awhile, still haven't figured out who made them

All I can make out is a "Tool MFG CO"
    IMG_3706 (640x480).jpg
    Details. Has a fine adjust device. Arc is a bit worn from use. Has brass washers at the pivot.
    Any clues?

No clues, but I love pickin' tools. Or straights, but that's another hobby.
    A question? Do you own a lathe? If not, when you get around to rehabbing those socket chisels, can you share your handle making process?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    The longer one's back is flat, the top of the chisel is tapered. Looks like I'll need a couple handles..
    IMG_3703 (480x640).jpg
    Will have to get rid of that mushroom, and the wooden plug....no biggie..

Any clues?
    Mushroom? Are you sure it's not made that way?

Quite sure....they didn't stop just because the handle snapped off...they kept right on banging away....they even filled in the cracks.....

Amazing that you find stuff like that on random trips....

So far - 17 years in South Carolina and I have found 3 old socket chisels.... 2 of them were too soft to use (I suspect somebody used them for a fireplace poker or sharpened them on a big bench grinder....)
    Last edited by John C Cox; 03-23-2018 at 2:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Amazing that you find stuff like that on random trips....

So far - 17 years in South Carolina and I have found 3 old socket chisels.... 2 of them were too soft to use (I suspect somebody used them for a fireplace poker or sharpened them on a big bench grinder....)
    They are kind of scarce here, too. I ran across 4 or 5 of them a couple years ago, but did not think I could find or make handles, so passed on them. Sholda bought 'em. Haven't see any since, and I'm looking hard, believe me.

Well, one was easy enough...had a cheapo that did not fit it's handle....handle went into the Union Hardware 1" chisel...until I find the "correct" style.

Mushroom was removed...took awhile since I don't have a decent wheel on the grinder. Dug the remains of the old handle out. Cleaned things up, and started the sharpening routine....Old Stanley Chisel had a handle that wasn't "right" so it was cleaned up, and installed...found a stamp...T. H. Witherby
    IMG_3730 (640x480).jpg
    And the backs..
    IMG_3731 (640x480).jpg
    Looks abit better than before?
    Now, about that 8" divider....?

Kind of a follow up...the two "donor" chisels...
    IMG_3732 (640x480).jpg
    Left is a Stanley, on the right is a Fulton..
    IMG_3733 (640x437).jpg
    To add a handle to the fulton..someone had used a screwdriver handle that had lost it's blade...jammed it in without removing the ferrel first...Trying now to dig the old ferrel out. Not sure which model number the Stanley one is, it is a 3/4" wide one. The handle that was on the Stanley chisel is now on the Witherby firmer chisel
    IMG_3734 (640x480).jpg
    The 1/2" wide, bevel edge chisel beside it, is also a Witherby. Almost like I am starting a set?

Would that Fulton chisel also be by Stanley?

I have a 6mm and 12mm Fulton. Here is a thread I started asking for info, fwiw.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nds&highlight=

Hi Steven,

Your chisels are much improved, good job.

Do you know if socket chisels all pretty much have the same taper so the handles are interchangable? I don't have a lathe, but have some have some very old socket chisels that need handles, and have thought about buying handles on that auction site. May not, but have thought about it. Have also thought about making a small lathe from an old drill.

Stew

IF you get too fat of a tapered handle...you can always sand it to fit.....too small? shorten the end a bit until it fits.

Ok, this is going to be a bit of a gloating a bit of a ramble. Steven, when I saw your chisel acquisition on your road trip to Brandt, I was kind of jealous because i don't live too far away and have probably been in which ever shop you found those in. Anyway, about an hour after I read your post I was on Craigslist, tool section and, lo and behold I see a brand new never been used Garrett Wade 6 chisel set and 6 old chisels similar to what you found, all for $10. Yep 12 chisels for $10. Called and jumped in my truck immediately and went and got them. I'd post a pic, but don't know how. This find motivates me to figure that out and I will post a pic. BTW, the LOML and my all time favorite place for pizza is 600 Downtown in Bellefontaine right across from the courthouse. Have you ever been there?

Haven't been to the 600..yet.....nor the place a couple blocks south of there, Called the Brewfontaine. There is also a brand new sports bar on the south end, where Wenger's used to be...Iron City.

The Lutheran Church is between me and the 600 Pizza place...you might also try that BBQ place a block to the north......South Carolina Style BBQ!

Steven, thanks might have to try some of those places out when I'm up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    Ok, this is going to be a bit of a gloating a bit of a ramble. Steven, when I saw your chisel acquisition on your road trip to Brandt, I was kind of jealous because i don't live too far away and have probably been in which ever shop you found those in. Anyway, about an hour after I read your post I was on Craigslist, tool section and, lo and behold I see a brand new never been used Garrett Wade 6 chisel set and 6 old chisels similar to what you found, all for $10. Yep 12 chisels for $10. Called and jumped in my truck immediately and went and got them. I'd post a pic, but don't know how. This find motivates me to figure that out and I will post a pic. BTW, the LOML and my all time favorite place for pizza is 600 Downtown in Bellefontaine right across from the courthouse. Have you ever been there?
    YOU SUCK!!!! great find!
    Jerry