Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DW735 fan removal for 6" duct

Josh,
    I removed the 4" adaptor and built an MDF shroud that fits completely around the outlet of the blower, it seals against the yellow housing. I did it on mine not because mine was slowly filling the interior with fine chips. I tried everything to amend that issue first but finally realized it was a tiny leak out of the plastic blower housing.

It works fine with a 5ph clearvue, not as well with a 2hp roll-around collector. I've had to make due with the 2hp collector while building a new shop.

I've found the plastic blower part of the 735 to be the true weak link in those machines. I had to replace the plastic fan when I bought mine (used), and I've had to use judicious JB weld on the housing (which cracks at the 3 mounting posts).

Great machine for part-time, weekend, or portable use!

I removed the turbine from mine and use a 4" hose to my dust collector. Removing the turbine quiets the 735 down by a heck of a lot and the chip extraction is as good as it ever was.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Jeff.
    You left the blower in place though? And just pull air from around it at that outlet area?

Grant -
    Did you remove the whole shroud to the blower from the cutterhead also? Just attach a flange at the existing hole? What type/hp DC are you using with success?
    Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

I left both the shroud above the blades and the blower in place.

I never had any issues with it when it was hooked up to the cyclone but with the 2hp roll around collector it can fill the inside with chips if there's any cracks or gaps in the shroud or blower housing.

Before I realized my housing had an issue I literally filled the inside of the planet with chips, it was a mess!

Before I made the simple hook up for mine I considered fabricating a shroud that would go straight up and out and hook up to a 6" line but the more I thought about it the more I realized that with the time invested it would have made more sense to just go out and buy a used 15" four post planer.

Josh: I left the shroud in place. I know that is a bottleneck in the dust extraction path, but I was really just trying to see how much difference the turbine made in terms of noise and dust extraction using my dust collector. The noise level is considerably reduced, and I did not notice any drop in dust collection
    My DC is a generic 2HP single bagger that I hook up to one machine at a time. (There are no more "bags" on it, but I'm sure you know the kind of DC that I'm talking about.)
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    Yawn...

So... Anyone who has tried it?
    I've got a 6" port on my planer and it seems adequate. It's a 24" though.

Thanks Grant.

I'm glad to here results are good with a 2hp bagger... I expect my 2hp will do fine.
    That's a real bonus that the noise is reduced considerably. I expect some drop, but wasn't expecting much.

This planer is really made for people without DC, or at a jobsite. It's redundant to run the blower IMO.

I read an article some time ago - I can't find it or I would post it - that said that the suction of a dust collector and the blast from the turbine actually fight each other. I have no idea if that is true, and it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I figured it wasn't a big deal to take the turbine off to see how things went without it. I really like the lower volume and the chips still end up in the collector.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I tried it, not for dust collection, but to see if would help with noise. Not an easy job. It did not help, the fan is back on. Dust collection on mine is fine, have 5 inch reduced to the 21/2 inch

2hp cyclone, 6" drop, cutterhead inlet not anywhere near the required surface area, no one is doing any math here anyway so knock yourself out. Sounds like fun. Nothing to loose.

I have 6" DC connection to my 20" planer currently in 1st shop. I have a 6" drop from a 8" main to a 5hp cyclone. My distance for dust to travel is increasing and so is my entire dc setup. Drops, mains, and dc.

Not knowing the machine, is it possible to fabricate a new shroud? A lot of machines also have a bottle neck at the inlet side so increasing the exhaust is not as much benefit as it first appears. There has been some work along these lines in the dust extraction section the the Australian woodwork forum, sorry I am not allowed to link to it but search for ubeaut.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening