Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Diamond Dresser for the Bench Grinder

  1. #1

    Diamond Dresser for the Bench Grinder

    I made up a few diamond dresser for the bench grinder. It is a metalworking project, but both woodworkers and metalworkers need a good dressing tool for the grinder. The first one I made was actually a present for my brother in law who is an avid woodworker.

    dressing_tool_1_lowres.jpg

    I made a video of the entire build as well if you are interested:



    Direct Youtube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mIXjcelBVQ

    There is a full set of drawings on my blog if you would like to make one yourself: https://www.thecogwheel.net
    Last edited by Justin Siemens; 03-22-2018 at 1:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    1,217
    What is the purpose of the angled cut out on the top?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Siemens View Post
    I made up a few diamond dresser for the bench grinder. It is a metalworking project, but both woodworkers and metalworkers need a good dressing tool for the grinder. The first one I made was actually a present for my brother in law who is an avid woodworker.
    Nice job on the machining! I liked watching the way you set up some of the operations.

    I have one almost identical to that I bought maybe 10+ years ago to use with the Wolverine platform. I forget the name of the guy making them but I think he sold a bunch - I know other turners who bought one at the same time. It did a great job at dressing my wheels before I switched to CBN for sharpening my lathe tools. Until I saw your post I actually forgot I had it! I think I'll start using it on the Metabo in my little welding shop.

    JKJ

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    What is the purpose of the angled cut out on the top?
    It's for clearance when the diamond is fully retracted into the body. The diamond isn't perpendicular to the wheel while dressing so without the relief the body could rub into the wheel.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice job on the machining! I liked watching the way you set up some of the operations.

    I have one almost identical to that I bought maybe 10+ years ago to use with the Wolverine platform. I forget the name of the guy making them but I think he sold a bunch - I know other turners who bought one at the same time. It did a great job at dressing my wheels before I switched to CBN for sharpening my lathe tools. Until I saw your post I actually forgot I had it! I think I'll start using it on the Metabo in my little welding shop.

    JKJ
    Thanks John! CBN wheels have certainly become much more common. I'm considering a setup with them as well - specifically for carbide sharpening. I'll probably use 2 bench grinders. For day to day work with HSS in my shop I find aluminum oxide wheels are still really useful.

  6. #6
    May I ask what cutting fluid you are brushing on ?

  7. Nice dresser.

    The best dressing tool I've ever used was when I was testing a 14" concrete saw blade for quality to make a knife. I found the diamond to obliterate a grinder stone. I cut the blade into pie pieces and made several including handle.
    Last edited by Scott Petersen; 07-08-2019 at 8:22 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •