Thread: Engraving off

Engraving off

Ok not sure how to explain this issue being I can not seem to upload and image. This issue has happened a few times different files but same laser. So I assume it is a laser issue. 45 watt Epilog Mini Helix. What happens is I have a design like a square with a smaller square inside the engraving goes first then the cut. The engraving can be off to the side some or completely curved sides. I will see if I can post a pick on a follow up post.

Thanks
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    I will see if I can post a pick on a follow up post.
    We no go so if someone can tell me how to post an image now I will follow up.
    Thanks

images-

below the reply box to the right are 'post quick reply', 'go advanced' and 'cancel' buttons, click 'go advanced'--

new screen comes up, scroll down till you see the 'manage attachments' button, click that...

another 1/4 sized window should pop up, towards the top right corner click on 'add files'- then hit 'browse'--

find the pic on your computer, click 'open', then click the 'upload' button...

--do this for as many pics as you want... they will stack up along the bottom... when ready hit the 'insert inline' button, and the thumbnails will be inserted into your reply box...
    you can move them around just like text, or drag with the mouse to move them...

this of course assumes you've never done this, if you know this and you can't upload, I haven't a clue!

THAT all said-- does your Epi have steppers or servo YX motors? If servos, sounds like a classic case of dirty encoder strips...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

if its only off by a 1/4" to an inch its acceptable according to GFsorry my bad I couldn't resist
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Pics of issueetching issue.jpg
    hope someone has an idea I have cleaned the encoder strip already also.
    thanks
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

I encountered something kind of similar when the pair of finger screws on the laser head that keep it attached to the moving part were loose, maybe check that?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Pics of issueetching issue.jpg
    hope someone has an idea I have cleaned the encoder strip already also.
    thanks
    The encoder strip may be nice and clean--the strip is "read" by a contrast reader (little black thing the strip sits in).
    I have had similar issues to what you are experiencing and Epilog support had me look at this.
    Was loaded with all kinds of fibers. Mostly q-tip fibers from cleaning stuff and oiling rails.....
    Maybe it'll wok for you??

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hlight=encoder

^^ this thread concerning encoder issues was posted up a few weeks ago- in post #13 John Noell provided a link to a video showing how to clean the encoder and reader on an Epilog, very good at showing how to do it-- however, as I mentioned in that thread, the guy cleaned the strip by simply wiping it lengthwise with a Qtip, which I don't agree with. The reason is because of the micro-lines in the strip that are 'read' are molded into the strip, perpendicular to the length; they're like file teeth, and as with files, if you want to clean between the teeth just wiping 'against the grain' isn't going to be very productive. It's tedious but IMO you should clean between the strip lines for the length of the strip rather than a quick swipe down the length...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

THanks for all the response swapping out encoder strip.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe