Thread: Do I need a scanner?

Do I need a scanner?

I need to replace my printer and wondered if I need to get an "all in one" machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    I need to replace my printer and wondered if I need to get an "all in one" machine?
    I would not for my use. I have two laser printers one a old HP on wireless network, and the newer one that works just as well for a lot less and its a Brother. I never did put it on the network but it works fine on USB.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

do you need color I see Woot has a Brother all in one for $100 today it is a factory reconditioned one

I gave my expensive scanner away years ago. Mostly it was just gathering dust. Digital cameras are great even smartphone cameras will produce good results.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We have a HP all in one, the second in about twelve years. We don't need the fax, but the scanner has gotten a lot of use. Would not be without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    We have a HP all in one, the second in about twelve years. We don't need the fax, but the scanner has gotten a lot of use. Would not be without one.
    Same here, and make sure it has WiFi capability. Our biggest use is scan to email. The ink is expensive but we hardly ever print.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Ditto on the WiFi!

I have one that is wifi or network and I use the network because I can print from any computer including the ones in the shop that wifi doesn't reach

Depends on what you'll do with it- Me, I have a cheap Canon printer the wife gave me for xmas a few years ago, and on top is a basic flatbed scanner. I'd be lost without the thing. Reason being, whatever I scan with it with Corel 'acquire image' comes into Corel in actual size. I get many requests for 'exactly like this' engraving, such as watchbacks for restorations- my watch guys give me an old beat up watchback, I scan it, they take it back and sand off what's left of the original wording and refinish it - meanwhile, I find text and such that matches, and hand digitize if needed, then superimpose mine right on top of the scanned version. When done I have a to-scale, nearly verbatim copy of the original...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle