Thread: Question about my Grizzly G0766

Question about my Grizzly G0766

The legs have threaded holes through them, just below the bed. Shown here, with bolts in them. (Not sure that's where the bolts belong, but I didn't find anything in the assembly instructions that indicated what they were for.)

Screenshot 2018-03-22 at 6.37.44 AM.jpg

I think there must be a purpose for the threaded holes and for the bolts that seem to fit them, but I don't know what that is. When I assembled the lathe about a year ago, I just stuck the bolts in the holes for safekeeping, but now I would like to know what the purpose is.

Can one of you enlighten me?

Thanks.

Robert

2. I think they are for a bed extension, which Grizzly never offered for the G0766.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I used those tapped hole locations to install a shop made 2 foot extension made of waterproof 1" thick Advantech and red oak bed rails.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I have heard tell that the bed extension for the Busy Bee / Craftex 802 (essentially canadian grizzly) can mount up there:

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...for-cx802.html

Curious if these are the same holes on the G0733 which there is an extension for I believe. The difference would be the height of the tools rest.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rosenberg View Post
    I have heard tell that the bed extension for the Busy Bee / Craftex 802 (essentially canadian grizzly) can mount up there:

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...for-cx802.html
    Ben, you are correct, the Busy Bee outboard extension in your link will in fact mount there on the G0766, as the pattern and location of the tapped holes on Robert's lathe are the same as on the G0733 and Craftex 802 (to answer Scott's question at the same time). I actually have that Busy Bee extension mounted on my G0733. BUT, I would NOT put it on my G0766, which sits next to my G0733. The G0733 and the Craftex 802 are 18 x 47" lathes with 2 hp motors. The G0766 is 3 hp, with four more inches of swing. The BB extension bed, banjo, and banjo riser are frankly not very substantial, compared to the beefiness of all three of these lathes.

Just an FYI, Busy Bee was founded by the brother of the guy that founded Grizzly.
    Which is why, for years, Grizzly would not ship to Canada.
    I heard a rumor that BusyBee is no longer, which is why Grizzly will now ship to Canada.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Mark,

I would be interested to see a photo of what you made, if you're willing to post one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Just an FYI, Busy Bee was founded by the brother of the guy that founded Grizzly.
    Which is why, for years, Grizzly would not ship to Canada.
    I heard a rumor that BusyBee is no longer, which is why Grizzly will now ship to Canada.
    Rumor is wrong Ralph, BusyBee is alive and doing well.

https://www.busybeetools.com/categor...Lathes/Lathes/
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marshall View Post
    Mark,

I would be interested to see a photo of what you made, if you're willing to post one. Thanks.
    Robert - here you go - forgive my very, always messy garage shop. Space is a limited commodity:1114160420a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Robert - here you go - forgive my very, always messy garage shop. Space is a limited commodity:1114160420a.jpg
    Mark, this is very nicely done. Looks plenty substantial for small-diameter spindle work like you have there.

Can't tell from the pic: Is it fully cantilevered, or is that a brace to the floor (just forward of the paint cans)?

Yes, fully cantilevered. It would support the tailstock sufficiently, but not a heavy log. BTW: that spindle was 6'-0" long to start x 5" square solid oak. That line in the background is piece of wood rod or something, not a support to the extension.