Thread: HP laptop reboot problem

HP laptop reboot problem

I would have bet money I posted a question about this before but cant find it to ask another question??????

I have an HP laptop running windows 10.
    Some time back it started to reboot on its own. No message why. Using the laptop then the screen turns black and reboots.
    I did a search on line and was recommended I turn on the notice to receive a message what was causing the problem before it reboots. I did that and doubble checked but I receive no message why it rebooted.

Any ideas?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Boot it from something else, like a USB flash drive with Linux on it. See if it's stable with that or still has a problem. That will narrow down an OS issue versus a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I would have bet money I posted a question about this before but cant find it to ask another question??????

I have an HP laptop running windows 10.
    Some time back it started to reboot on its own. No message why. Using the laptop then the screen turns black and reboots.
    I did a search on line and was recommended I turn on the notice to receive a message what was causing the problem before it reboots. I did that and doubble checked but I receive no message why it rebooted.

Any ideas?
    it does sound like a driver issue to me. maybe update the drivers and see what happens. Also if there is dust or blockage for the cooling ports that may cause a problem as an overheating cpu will cause a shutdown. could you run a diagnostic and see if it gives some clue. Intel have a utility that runs a stress test of the cpu etc. this will very likely show hardware problems if one exists.

Do you know when it started doing this. You may want to do a windows roll back by going into your PC settings and then the update and security and find a version of windows 10 that worked before

Thanks for the ideas,
    When I get the time I am going to try a few things.
    One of the guys I work with, who is into computers as a hobby, right away said it sounded like a heat problem.
    My Laptop is about 3 years old and the battery don't last longer than 5 min. But a test shows all is good and shows 94% charged but not charging. I can find info on my model about the battery issue and the fix is a BIOS update but did not do any good for me.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

If you're up to it or know somebody who is, Carlos' idea about a non-Windows operating system would quickly sort the software/firmware/hardware question. It's pretty easy these days to create a live DVD/USB device but you can't use a machine that reboots every 3 minutes. After downloading the .iso (DVD image) it takes less than 10 minutes to create a bootable USB. DVD takes longer though I've found DVD to boot more reliably but is slower in use.