Thread: Glue on box bottom?

Glue on box bottom?

I am planning a small keepsake box out of a scrap board of cherry wood left by the previous owner of my house. I've seen a lot of boxes here with dadoes cut in the sides for the bottom to slide in. Is there any reason one cannot simply glue the box bottom to the walls?

In a box, you're going to have cross grain on two sides. It's possible that wood movement could eventually cause a glue failure on those two sides. It's not a "for sure" but a "possible". If you capture the bottom in a groove on all four sides, you allow for wood movement. If the box is small, glueing will probably work fine.

Mike

[This is assuming your bottom is wood and not something like MDF. MDF doesn't expand and contract so glueing would be fine.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In traditional work we generally nail the bottom on, nailing from the bottom up. This is probably more secure than glue. It is helpful to make a pilot hole so the nail doesn't split the wood. For a small box, one thing that doesn't work very well is to try and fit the bottom inside the four sides of the box; it is hard to get it to fit just right.

An alternative would be to make a small rabbet inside the bottom edges of the box and fit and glue in a thin bottom.

I think the most common box building mistake is too thick pieces. The small boxes need thin pieces. Beauty can't overcome clunky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think the most common box building mistake is too thick pieces. The small boxes need thin pieces. Beauty can't overcome clunky.
    +1 on that. Small boxes need to be "delicate", not clunky.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.