Thread: Deft Clear satin brushing lacquer

Deft Clear satin brushing lacquer

Can anyone tell me what this looks like in the can. I received a can through Amazon. When opened, it was a milky white (looked more like a waterbed product). I expected a clear/amber type look. I tried thinning with mineral spirits and it became a big lump at the bottom of the mixing bottle. Do you think this was really a nitrocellulose lacquer? Would possible freezing in transit affect this?

Thanks for any help.

Kieran

If it smells of lacquer thinner, then definitely use lacquer thinner to thin it. The satin finish is the result of putting extremely small particles in a lacquer finish. Without the particles, it will make a gloss finish. More particles per gallon will result in a flat finish. If more than one coat of finish is used. the first coats should be gloss lacquer to reduce the cloudiness resulting from too many coats of satin finish caused by the many layers of particles.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Deft brushing lacquer is definitely lacquer and the milky color is normal. It will not thin with mineral spirits. I would think you have contaminated it and personally I wouldn’t attempt to use it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks John. I only tried to thin a small portion. This was based on a video from Craft Supplies where the demonstrator was turning a pepper mill and said he finished it with Deft Clear lacquer thinned with mineral spirits (I think). Do you know if it can be thinned?
    Kieran

I may have answered my own question. Looks like I need to find lacquer thinner and not paint thinner or mineral spirits. Thanks

Sure - with lacquer thinner or acetone.

Left click my name for homepage link.

It was explained to me that the satin finishes contain some "fine powder" or something to cut the gloss and reduce light refraction. It was suggested to always use gloss finish and cut the shine back with a rubbing compound or extra fine steel wood if a duller final finish was desired. You cannot polish satin finishes to improve the shine due to elements in the finish, but you can dull gloss.

Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    It was explained to me that the satin finishes contain some "fine powder" or something to cut the gloss and reduce light refraction. It was suggested to always use gloss finish and cut the shine back with a rubbing compound or extra fine steel wood if a duller final finish was desired. You cannot polish satin finishes to improve the shine due to elements in the finish, but you can dull gloss.
    I want to mention that I have increased the glossiness of Deft Spray semi gloss lacquer by Beall buffing. I cannot tell the difference between gloss and semi gloss lacquer after buffing.