Thread: What to build with 300 bft of premium cherry

What to build with 300 bft of premium cherry

I just purchased over 300bdft. of absolutely fantastic Cherry. I am now trying to figure out exactly what to make from some of it.There are many pieces with exceptional grain and wide widths. Up to 15'' wide. It is all 4/4 that has been skip planed. So one idea is a hall table that I remember from Fine woodworking... Need some inspiration and other good ideas. Also products and techniques for finishing. Thanks, Mike.

Is anything-you-want an option?

My guess is you had a plan for some of it. What was the original idea? We can expand from that. I just bought a lift of 5/4 FAS cherry and I have the same problem with about 500 bdft of that. I was hoping they would have cut the logs to 5/4, but clearly they just jammed 6/4 thru their two sided planer to make me some 5/4. Oh well, live and learn.

If it is a heavy 4/4 I would build a secretary desk. If not I would build bachelor chests or small chest of drawers or something panel construction..

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    My guess is you had a plan for some of it. What was the original idea? We can expand from that. I just bought a lift of 5/4 FAS cherry and I have the same problem with about 500 bdft of that. I was hoping they would have cut the logs to 5/4, but clearly they just jammed 6/4 thru their two sided planer to make me some 5/4. Oh well, live and learn.
    It seems like when us hobbyists are buying we are always on the "live and learn curve." Purchasing hardwood lumber is often frustrating. You should still have a wide range of options left I would think if it is 5/4 now.

Good Luck!

Actually no concrete plan, real good friend closing down commercial shop and gives me a smokin deal. Anyone build a rolltop desk from Cherry ?

I love working with cherry. I can only tell you what I have made from cherry.
    2 bedroom night stands
    2 dressers
    1 tv console - my absolute favorite
    1 end table
    1 library book stand - a nice project for wood scraps or shorts
    1 lateral file cabinet
    and my current cherry project - an extended printer stand with t drawers
    For the last 2 on the list, I found some cherry with beautiful figure, gum streaks and even some nice sap wood. Some may not like that but I really do.

John

Hutch, or wine cabinet. Here is some i've done. Love love love cherry. Sooner work with that than anything.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjDQLAxi
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvaxHi6
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/22447246@N06/6m44xW
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsjzi3SCp

Here's just a few. I too buy wood when the opportunity comes along. Once bought 500bf of cherry for 3/bf, ...just because.

My suggestion would to not be in a big hurry...the wood will tell you what it wants to become and it doesn't have an "expiration date". Seriously, that's my philosophy in general. What I do is keep a list of projects. Some are "need to do this" type projects and some are "would like to make this" type projects. Very often, the latter ends up with the truly premium stock.

FIY, I have some 5/4 wide and longer cherry that's been in the rack since about 2000 or 2001 when Willard Bros in Trenton NJ had a "really nice sale". I still haven't discovered what the remainder of that wood will make, but I did recently use the shorter, wide, 4/4 boards for the top of my buffet/hutch project last year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might consider making a set of furniture such as bedroom outfit.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Don't be in a hurry to use it.
    Put it on the shelf and wait. The right project will come along.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I think furniture like dressers, secretaries, desks, etc look great in cherry. Basically anything with large panels that show off the grain.

The hall table is a good idea. Coincidentally, I've also got one "on the list". It will be a Queen Anne Queen-Anne-Console-Table-33c8a070-4927-4b74-9e0d-bf057a92186d_600.jpg.

Also something to consider with valuable highly figured wood like this I think its almost mandatory to cut into veneer for example, drawer fronts.

Here is an example of a dresser using figured cherry veneer drawer fronts:

File_001 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 03-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Of the 300 BF, how much is sap wood?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon