Thread: Life of Target Coating

Life of Target Coating

Looking for some advice on using some older Target Coatings products. I have some em8000 and em6000 that have been opened and stored in my garage, temp usually around 75 never below 60. They are probably between 2 to 3 years old. What are my risks in using them? I am finishing a coffee tray for a friend. I hate to order an new can but I don't to get stuck with having to start all over with the finishing of this piece. Just for information, I finished the piece with 2-3 coats of Frombys "Tung oil" finish then 2 coats for 1:1 seal coat/DNA followed by aqua coat grain filler. Sanded the filler back and now need to put on the top coat. Would anyone recommend another coat of the seal coat/DNA before the top coat? I have read that Target products and Seal coat don't get along sometimes.

IMG_20180317_184123.jpg

Thanks for any help.

If they aren't pink and/or don't smell, chances are they are OK. But the only way to know for sure is to make some samples and see if they behave and cure OK.

John

I have actually used some "very old" pre-EM6000 TC finish recently with zero issues after straining it into the cup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

4. I've used EM6000 that was over 3 years old and never had an issue, but like Jim, I strained it as there was a bit of "goop" floating around the tin. I should also mention that I had some of their shellac go bad on me after 2 years; mold floating on the top! I threw that away.

Yea, and to be clear (pardon the expression... ) ... I only use the really old stuff for utility purposes such as shop projects and other things where someone else isn't paying me. While there's likely no worry about using the older material, I don't feel comfortable using truly old finish for commissions for obvious reasons. But I'm also thankful that the shelf life is that good because I really hate wasting things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...