Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious. . . .

Lots of pros and cons posted about HF over the years. But, I really like the store and a lot of their products. Over the years, I purchased 3 work benches (screwed them together for a decent work bench), shingle air nailer, air powered hard flooring nailer, orbital air sander, fast connect hose couplers, 1/2" corded drill, nitrile gloves, socket sets & rachets, box end wrenches, tool cart, floor mats, air hose, drill bits, sanding discs, electrical cord ends, just to name a few - and all of these have performed to my expectations. However, I purchased several small bar clamps and they are TERRIBLE as they won't hold.

Although always thinking of Harbor Freight as "Harbor Fright" I shop there sometimes for disposables, hand tools and even power tools that I need for "one time use" or infrequent applications. Never bought woodworking tools there but own their motorcycle jack and tire changer and bridge tile saw. Enjoy looking around when I'm there.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ha, if you were serious I'd say check with your local paper. I read it every morning with an app on my iPad. I also get the paper version delivered since my Lovely Bride likes the grocery ads and I use the paper with the bee hives and when starting fires. The comics pages make high class wrapping paper. Getting the paper every day helps support the local economy by giving the delivery guy a job.

I don't watch TV or browse on-line news sites so any news I get is from the paper or from my wife, starting with the words "Did you hear about the...".

Years ago with my hand on a machinist's handbook I took a solemn vow to never buy anything from Harbor Freight that has moving parts.

JKJ
    Okay, right. You're talking about the crab wrapper. Got it.

At home we get pretty good lump crab meat from Costco; their price is half or sometimes less than half, the price at the local fish mongers (and has less shell). When we want to pick crabs, we stop at a fish camp where they wrap shells in the butcher paper they use to cover the tables. Got no more use for the crab wrapper. It just can't compete any more. Sad, I suppose, but the world moves on.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

There used to be a few sites dedicated to rating HF stuff. They seem to have stuff that's just fine, sometimes even great, and others that are horrifyingly bad. Then the ones that need a couple mods to make them great. My own rule is to not buy anything that needs to be/stay sharp, or requires high-quality or hardened metals. Because it's all made out of Chinesium and you never know what you will get. But lots of things from HF have served me well for many years. I haven't gone there in a year though, just don't need stuff they have any more. I bought gloves a year ago. They are good. But no longer significantly cheaper than Amazon, so why bother.