Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious. . . .

Blog Entries

Just curious. . . .

I do a lot of wondering, like do you read the back page adds on insertions in the newspaper? In this mornings paper there was 16 page insert and on the back page, there is a Harbor Freight full page add.
    I find that page to be entertaining. Also, have you ever bought anything from them. I have purchased a few items. My son-in-law visits them more than I do.
    I also frequent and buy from the local borg's, Home Depot and Lowe's. I would rather do there than to a candy store.

Locally, we got a Harbor Freight last fall or early this spring. I have been in there twice. Years ago I bought a tile saw from them online. Though it wasn't spectacular, it more than earned it's keep until I retired it a couple years ago. Last week I bought a pair of dollies in the local store. I plan on using them to move the hide-a-bed couch and entertainment center out of the living room to clean the carpets. I would buy stuff there that I don't plan on using heavily or often or both.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oh yeah, I enjoy harbor frate. Some good stuff there. And some stuff that is not as much inferior as just really nutty in concept. They had really terrific soaker hoses. At least one other member here has lamented their absense. The ones they have now are much better than the ones at the BORGS .

What is this "morning paper" of which you speak? If you post a URL, I'll check it out, but I'm not doing a Google search to find it.

My last purchase from HF was a couple of the aluminum bar clamps, which are every bit as frail as Joel's blog this morning reports. https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...%20Vs.%20Clamp And I added some SYP reinforcing inserts as suggested by Paul Sellers a while back (which is when I decided to try it out). https://paulsellers.com/2017/01/screwfix-sash-clamps/ The Dubuque clamps are better in every way, but the adaptation does work and I still use the HF things at times. Without Sellers modification, they are not worth having. The modification is quick and easy and saves a fair amount of money, but not everyone is interested in spending their time modifying tools.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Search "Harbor Freight Gems." One thing I like is their rechargable batteries. For around six bucks ( less 20%) for a set of four, I use them in my head phones and FM transmitter. They last as long, if not longer than "national brands."

I bought their Windsor workbench for temp use and it is still in service as a secondary bench after stiffening. Not a wonderful workbench but serviceable and great value for money. I bought some plastic shelves on impulse ("how could I go wrong" kind of thing). They were flimsy and soon went into the trash.

Doug

My girlfriend and I both like to shop at HF. Mostly for chip brushes and latex gloves. Also the magnetic trays. I do have a HF right angle drill that I have been using for almost 12 years. I use it for sanding pieces on the lathe. It's afraid to break because I have a backup for it. HF does have some gems. Most items with a cord don't last long, but the handtools work great for the occasional user. Of course your MMAV.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    I enjoy going there and visit about once a month, always with a 20% coupon. I have their bench top drill press which has worked well for several years, I think I paid about $50 for it. I also buy their chip brushes. I have a corded 3/8 drill which I have dedicated to my Kreg drill bit and it's fine.. I bought some band clamps and they are awful. I bought their trim router, about $20, pretty bad, I gave it away.I buy their small dollies, about $8, just for the casters. I get my latex(?) disposable gloves at Costco, very good quality.
    It does seem that their quality is improving over the years although you still have to be careful about what you buy. Some of us older members remember that anything "made in Japan" was junk, now of course they make high quality products, I wonder if Harbor Freight and China products will do the same?
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    What is this "morning paper" of which you speak? If you post a URL, I'll check it out, but I'm not doing a Google search to find it.
    Ha, if you were serious I'd say check with your local paper. I read it every morning with an app on my iPad. I also get the paper version delivered since my Lovely Bride likes the grocery ads and I use the paper with the bee hives and when starting fires. The comics pages make high class wrapping paper. Getting the paper every day helps support the local economy by giving the delivery guy a job.

I don't watch TV or browse on-line news sites so any news I get is from the paper or from my wife, starting with the words "Did you hear about the...".

Years ago with my hand on a machinist's handbook I took a solemn vow to never buy anything from Harbor Freight that has moving parts.

JKJ

For a long time, the watch words were: "Don't buy anything from Harbor Freight that can kill you." Lately there products seem to be improving. I go there any time i need nitrile gloves, chip brushes, acid brushes, other use and toss items. While I can't speak from experience, there have been positive postings about their link belts.

I wonder if it is not so much HF improving as the quality of everything else declining to their level, so it only seems as if they are getting better.

I bought a hydraulic jack there for a one time job. No, I didn't get under the jacked up vehicle.

What's a "newspaper"? ... Honestly, I haven't read on in many years, but they do indeed sometimes have ads of local relevance. HFT is an interesting place. There are some things that are a great value and others that probably should be avoided. There's been lots of discussion about them over the years. And something else...they actually are not always the best price for something.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Recent HF finds for me included a really nice framers tool belt for $25 and an electric chain saw sharpener for $30. And with their ever-present 20% off coupon, those purchases are an even better deal. Next I am going to purchase their $55 carbide saw blade sharpener to try out on a few old blades.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/120-vo...ner-96687.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-poc...elt-63294.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ner-61613.html
    NOW you tell me...

For the price Harbor Freight products are as good as any and better than some. I save the ads with the coupons and make sure there's one in the car when are going that direction, whether we plan to stop or not. In recent months they seem to be aiming higher in price and quality with some electric tools.

Free Harbor Freight flashlights were the unsung heroes of 2 hurricanes and several more minor power outages over the last few years. I have one on this desk, one in the closet behind me, a few in a basket in the kitchen and one in each car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Recent HF finds for me included a really nice framers tool belt for $25 and an electric chain saw sharpener for $30. And with their ever-present 20% off coupon, those purchases are an even better deal. Next I am going to purchase their $55 carbide saw blade sharpener to try out on a few old blades.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/120-vo...ner-96687.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/18-poc...elt-63294.html
    https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ner-61613.html
    Based on your rec Ole, I bought a tool belt, leather one actually, from HF. It was $16, less after the coupon, and it has worked great. I didn't actually have a real tool belt until that one. As part of my work, I use a two pocket 'belt' from Ace for holding screws, but that was it. I also bought a grinder from them a couple of years ago. It was not good quality, but it got the job done. Today that grinder sits on a shelf just in case I need a grinder for a two minute job as that is about all it could handle. I used it on aluminum and it still almost couldn't handle the work.

The one thing I have bought from HF in quantity are the moving blankets. I always buy them on sale and they have lasted and provided the protection I needed. They are the same as ones I paid $12 - $15 for in 2007 but I now pay $7.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck