Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If youcould have one handsaw, would it be rip or crosscut?

If youcould have one handsaw, would it be rip or crosscut?

I'm planning a minimalist tool chest build that I can leave in the back of my van, to use on occasions where I might need to do woodworking away from home. I plan to include
    1/4"-1" FatMax chisels
    Combo square
    tape measure
    Framing aquare (24")
    Millers Fall #5(ish)
    Block plane
    Claw hammer
    Rubber mallet or chisel mallet
    sliding bevel
    combo aluminum oxidestone, soft ark, slate stone

I have a couple of Fat Max saws, but honestly I detest them. I have a small Disston panel saw,22"-24" that I can either file rip or crosscut, so I'm thinking of going with just one saw.
    Which would you choose?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 03-21-2018 at 2:05 PM.

I’d go rip. Crosscuts are typically shorter ... 2-8” and can be easily done with a rip saw or the Fat Max saw. Rip cuts on the other hand could be much longer lengths and would benefit from a dedicated rip filed saw. I’ve tried cutting rip with a hybrid saw or all-purpose saw and it’s just not great compared to a dedicated rip saw.

For me it would be crosscut. You likely would be crosscutting much more often than ripping. You could rip with a crosscut, but it would take a while. Having said all that, why not both? A second saw would take up no more room than a single saw. if you put the handles at opposite sides of the box and let the blades cross, you are not out any space at all.

There was quite an interesting thread recently on panel saws, and it was demonstrated that panel saws came in both rip and crosscut for many different lengths, so you could have say a 22" panel saw in both 8 point crosscut and 6 point rip for instance.

If I could only have one handsaw, I would cry. Then I would buy a second one.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Crosscuts are much more common then ripcuts in my experience, so id go for a Crosscut saw.

Say what you will but for larger ripcuts i much prefer a Table or Bandsaw, hell even a Jigsaw is more efficient then doing it by hand.

I’ll quote my 7th grade woodshop teacher. “A crosscut saw will cut with the grain cleanly, but slowly. A rip saw will cut across the grain by ripping. It ain’t pretty.”
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use my CCs at least four times more than my rip saws. I would revise your list to include a CC and rip panel saw, maybe one or two chisels, a much better combo square (no framing square), a good rule along with a 12' tape measure and most of what else on your list.

I migrated to the ways of the neanderthals maybe 16 to 18 years ago, with decades before that praying at the altar of electrons. Don't make the mistakes I did, and buy every doodad that comes on the market. Start out with your list and add as you need to.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp Jaindl View Post
    Crosscuts are much more common then ripcuts in my experience, so id go for a Crosscut saw.

Say what you will but for larger ripcuts i much prefer a Table or Bandsaw, hell even a Jigsaw is more efficient then doing it by hand.
    I too do the vast majority of ripping by table saw or hand saw. What I do use rip saws for frequently is cutting joinery, however. I would not want to cut large tenon cheeks with a crosscut saw.

I really honestly feel that if you're going to do it right you need at least 1 CC and 1 rip.

I’ll revise my suggestion. I thought it was the Fat Max plus one saw. In that case, CC is the way to go. But, I agree, a second panel saw isn’t going to add much weight or room to the equation. You could go full radical and take one 24” saw with 12” filed CC, and 12” filed rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I’ll revise my suggestion. I thought it was the Fat Max plus one saw. In that case, CC is the way to go. But, I agree, a second panel saw isn’t going to add much weight or room to the equation. You could go full radical and take one 24” saw with 12” filed CC, and 12” filed rip.
    That is a very intriguing suggestion.I also have an 8 or 10 ppi Warranted Superior that needs a handle. I might even cut that down to the same length. The only reason I was thinking one saw was that all my other saws are 26" or better, and I want to keep the chest as small as possible.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 03-21-2018 at 7:23 PM.

I have never cut down a saw before, and not sure how to go about it.

I’ve cut saw plates with a grinder, quenching frequently in water so as not to overheat. A better solution would be to use a metal cutting bandsaw if you have access to one. They cut pretty cool

Thanks. I'm thinking a cutting wheel on a dremel or angle grinder, which is all I have. But it will take a while to start building the chest; I've got snow all over my bench at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    That is a very intriguing suggestion.I also have an 8 or 10 ppi Warranted Superior that needs a handle. I might even cut that down to the same length. The only reason I was thinking one saw was that all my other saws are 26" or better, and I want to keep the chest as small as possible.
    If I wanted something like that I'd interleave raker teeth with fleamed ones, similar to two-man saw filings. I've seen some backsaws filed like that in the past, and TFWW is offering a panel saw with an elaborate variation of that toothing: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...63&cat=1,42884

How about a frame saw with two blades. It can be taken apart and assembled as needed with the appropriate blade.