Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchen counters at room corners

We plan to remodel our kitchen hopefully this summer and get rid of all the hard-to-clean white tile counters and cheap white cabinets the builder installed. He installed a lazy susan in two corners. The corner that holds the heavy items never has an issue with tipped items. The corner that holds the light items, including some tall narrow plastic storage containers, regularly tip over when we spin it. It's all about the weight of the item. Empty plastic containers of any size will eventually fall off. We have been looking at going the same route as Jim T has done with his kitchen.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

These guys have some innovative solutions.

http://www.kornerking.com/Default.asp
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Jim T,
    Thank you for your post. As an Architect, I have designed somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 kitchens over the years. I hate inside corners on base cabinets and avoid them whenever possible. The solution you posted is the most efficient and creative I have seen. I immediately forwarded the link to a current client who now erroneously believes that I am a brilliant problem solver. Yet another reason for supporting SMC, as in being a Contributor.
    Again- Mahalo sir.

I purchased what Jim has a couple of years ago when I redid the kitchen. Pull the first rack out, if you need what's on the second rack slide the first to the right which exposes the second rack. Pull out the second rack.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

My mom put her sink in the corner on a diagonal cabinet with windows on each wall right at the corner. 2 options building that cabinet, you can clip the back corner and leave a potentially huge deadspace or make it an L and make a huge cabinet, but potentially not be able to get it through a doorway. Her counter fabricator suggested a shelf raise about 4" behind the sink and it looks great. She has a plant and some other junk back there. The corner sink is very functional since the counter on both sides is closer than they would be on a straight run, except that the dishwasher door ends up behind you so you have to learn about the trip hazard. You do need to put a narrow cabinet between the sink and dishwasher. Fast forward a couple years we bought a house with the same basic design and I'm pretty happy with it.

If there is access to the other side of the corner cabinet, just put a door on it to access it from the other room. I first saw this in an old 70’s style kitchen and thought it was such a simple solution.

But Jim’s method is the way to go if you don’t have access to the backside. I suggested that fixture for my SIL’s kitchen but it was out of the budget and I don’t think she had the required clear opening innth cabinet due to stove layout. Remember to review the installation requirements carefully before designing the kitchen if you go that way.

7. I put our sink in the corner with a small 45 degree angle in front. It works for this kitchen.

Just be aware, the dishwasher may have to be a little further from the sink to allow room at the sink to stand while loading the dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    We have one of those lazy susan corner cabinets and have never had a problem with something falling off and not being able to retrieve it. There is a substantial lip on each of the two shelves and while things may shift position if you close it too quickly, things stay on the shelf. We use it all the time and can't imagine a better way to utilize the corner space.
    Same here. It holds a lot of stuff.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    If there is access to the other side of the corner cabinet, just put a door on it to access it from the other room. I first saw this in an old 70’s style kitchen and thought it was such a simple solution.
    That's how this house was built in '72. It had a counter with upper/lower cabinets between kitchen and DR. It was a pain to keep bending over to talk to someone in the other room. We tore all that out, and put in a good sized island. Now it's all open space. The dishwasher is in the island.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    My solution for the two such cabinets in our kitchen was to fashion access from adjacent rooms. One is a pull-out caddy for shoe storage in the back of my wife's closet (not yet completed) and the other, media storage drawers in the living room.
    Yup. The blind corner on mine was on the wall that backed up on the garage: I just put a hatch out there, leaving me access to 12 cubic feet of "cave" for storage of once-a-year stuff like holiday decorations. The door to the side yard swings in front of that chunk of wall in the garage, so I'm not losing any useful space out there either.

None of the traditional solutions appealed to me because I wanted drawers-only below counter height, no doors. FYI, the corresponding upper cabinet is a glass-front diagonal.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-25-2018 at 2:45 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.