Thread: Woodcraft Grinder Quit

Woodcraft Grinder Quit

Hello, I have a Woodcraft grinder about 8 years old. Last night after sharpenening a tool when I returned it was dead. About 1 year ago the same thing happened and I put the switch off and on many times and it came back on. I put a switch in line and it has been fine until tonight. Do you think it would be worth putting money into or is it time for a new grinder. I use it daily.

Check electrical connection and switch. You may find an easy and inexpensive fix.
    C&C WELCOME

I would verify what the problem is this time and reevaluate switch's are cheap, when you placed the inline switch in did you bypass the original one . If not that is what I would do.

Also, check the motor capacitor and the switch that takes the cap out of the circuit once the motor is running.

I am not familiar with your Woodcraft grinder (you don't say if it is a VS unit). If it is a variable speed grinder it is probably similar to the Porter Cable 1/2 HP variable speed grinder which has a fuse mounted internally on the circuit board. My grinder did not like steel CBN wheels and would trip the fuse if the load was to high.

I made a short wire to bypass the original switch and am back in business. I heard a noise that I thought was a bearing a while back. It fixed itself! I think I will get anew grinder in the near future. I HAVE to get something finished for tomorrow. It is amazing how much I rely on a grinder to sharpen tools
    Thanks for the reply’s, Kevin

The WC, Rikon, Etc are all the same and cheap enough to replace. You got plenty of use out of it.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Hello, I have a Woodcraft grinder about 8 years old. Last night after sharpenening a tool when I returned it was dead. About 1 year ago the same thing happened and I put the switch off and on many times and it came back on. I put a switch in line and it has been fine until tonight. Do you think it would be worth putting money into or is it time for a new grinder. I use it daily.
    If it's the same half-speed grinder I have it's a great grinder and probably worth fixing. I wish I could find another one. (We used to call it the Woodcraft No Name grinder)

When you flip the switch does the motor hum (indicating power and a possible capacitor problem) or is it silent? Did you smell anything unusual at the grinder? When a capacitor blows it often has a strong, distinctive smell. If the motor hums but starts when you spin it by hand it is probably a capacitor. When a motor winding goes bad it sometimes has a faint burned smell.

If you are comfortable working with electrical power use a meter and trace the power from the wall, through your in-line switch, and to the motor windings. Check the connections you made the last time. If not comfortable working with AC power, any motor shop could find the problem.

If it is the switch (a good chance) you might disassemble it and check. I've fixed a lot of switches over the years - some simply have dust or gunk that needs cleaned. They are usually pretty easy to take apart, just pay attention to where things go and watch out for flying parts. If no parts are broken clean the contacts and add a dab of dielectric grease and reassemble. A switch that started working after cycling can probably be fixed if you still have it.

If the contacts are burned on your replacement switch it might need to be replaced. If the contacts are burned, make sure the switch is properly rated for the motor.

Kevin,don't bother wasting your time trying to fix this grinder, it's eight years old, surely to goodness you've gotten your monies worth out of it. Buy a new one, it's about time to replace your old one.
    Len

Guys, read post #6 - Kevin bypassed the switch and the grinder works. He found the problem and fixed the grinder.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Guys, read post #6 - Kevin bypassed the switch and the grinder works. He found the problem and fixed the grinder.
    Thanks! The combination of dyslexia and 2 hrs of sleep strikes again. Note to self paraphrasing the old carpenter: read twice, post once.